Going abroad

Last Updated:

1. Lilee

Lilee New Member This Topic's Starter

I currently have a T-Mobile G2 in the UK and am going over to Dublin for the weekend.

I don't intend to use the phone - but need to take it so i'm contactable. Is there a way I can turn off the internet so I don't get charged while i'm over there.

I'm sorry if it's a really simple question and I sound like an iiot - but I honestly haven't a clue!

Cheers

Advertisement
  2. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Easy. Put the mobile data widget on any of your home screens (find in HTC widget / settings) and you can turn the internet on and off as you want.

Can also turn it off by going into the Settings through Menu.

3. Lilee

Thanks a mil!

4. Nighthaunt

Nighthaunt Well-Known Member

In the settings - wireless controls - mobile network settings - untick Data roaming.

This means it will only send data over the network if you are connected to the same network as SIM (I'm in UK but work in France - when I'm in France I get an R next to signal strength to indicate I'm roaming (using a different network to SIM's network) and it doesn't connect to data services.

Soon as I'm back in the UK the R dissapears as I'm no longer roaming and it connects for Data.

It works for France so will work for Southern Ireland or anywhere else where you are away from the network your contacts with.

5. Lilee

Thanks ever so much. I've done both those things so hopefully that should safeguard me against any charges while i'm over there!

6. Nighthaunt

Nighthaunt Well-Known Member

Will work fine - was one reason changed from N97 where I had to keep changing data on and off.

As long as data roaming is off Hero handles it automatically - and for me as soon as in hotel WiFi range automatically connects and downloads :)