going camping need all the bat life I can getSupport

Last Updated:

1. bword

bword Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Would putting my phone into flight mode be the best battery saving method besides shutting it off??

Advertisement
  2. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

It'd help somewhat. Also reduce brightness to minimum, make sure the screen timeout is set to a low number, and turn off whenever possible.

Also remember that your Captivate has a removable battery. It'd be silly to not take advantage of this. Stock up on some spares and charge them up.

3. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

For each device there is a point of diminishing returns on powering it down, then back up. If done too often, the battery will drain much quicker than if left on.

The trick is to understand how yours uses battery life when on and sleeping; not all are exactly the same, and of course configuration has a lot to do with it (apps updating in the background, syncing, etc).

Spare, fully charged batteries are the way to go, in my opinion, especially given the possibility of emergency needs on a camping trip; other people's phones may not be available in certain situations.

4. ShannonPricePhoto

ShannonPricePhoto Active Member

go....Camping...lol...put the phone away. you will be ok. :)

5. boomerbubba

boomerbubba Well-Known Member

I can't vouch for this because I have never tried it, but this solar charger looks interesting. I recall seeing competitive devices elsewhere.

Having such a resource could be useful in emergencies. I recall that duing Katrina, family members on the Gulf Coast were cut off from outside communication for almost a week. Some folks discovered that by going to the end of a certain pier, they could sometimes reach a distant cell tower, and texting worked better than voice. But a big limiting factor was power. A solar charger would have been priceless.

6. ScuroRaven

ScuroRaven Well-Known Member

There are emergency flashlights, I believe the redcross ones. They are the ones that have the crank to power them so they don't need batteries. They also have a USB port. So, you can plug your phone into it an charge your battery by cranking up the flashlight

7. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

8. jeremytanner

jeremytanner Well-Known Member

9. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Back when I had my 8330 I used a crank charger.. well, I purchased a crank charger. Never had occasion to use it or any other 3rd party charger, as I always grab a spare battery when I get a new phone, and rotate them.

The crank went to my kid a while back.

10. Endoran

Endoran Well-Known Member

I'm with this person. But I'll say lol again. Also...WHY on earth would you bring your cell phone camping!?!?! The whole point of camping is to get away from things like cell phones. I get the whole safety issue thing. Two things though with your post: a) if you plan on only using your phone in an emergency and are not going on a camping trip for more than 2 weeks one battery on a full charge will be fine (airplane mode, sleep), b) if you are in an area that HAS cell phone coverage you are not that far from another person I guarantee it. If you say you are car camping I'm going to roll my eyes and think stereotypical american. You better just bring a generator with tanks of gas.

11. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

12. 3gAndroid

3gAndroid Well-Known Member

+1

I've found that the OEM battery is very reasonably priced from a variety of sources online. I have a spare for mine and it's a great solution.

Cheers... :)

13. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Well-Known Member

Ebay has 2 batteries with a charger for 11 bucks. They work fine, been using them for 3 weeks and it was best money ever spent

14. topshelf95

topshelf95 Well-Known Member

I also purchased the two ebay batteries and external charger. They are very convenient and at $10 with shipping included, how can you go wrong?

15. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Interesting how people refer to eBay as if it's the vendor selling things. It's like saying the newspaper is the one selling something you buy from the classifieds.

16. bword

link?

17. bword

It was very hard to do that but I did it most of the time..doesnt help when we go a race track while we were up there and I love taking pictures of the cars :D

BTW havent looked to much into this..do they sell extended batterys for our phones?