Going for the Nexus One - AT&T or Sprint?

Last Updated:

1. droiddecar

droiddecar Active Member This Topic's Starter

So now that Verizon has bailed on the Nexus One, I am thinking of switching from them to either AT&T or Sprint. (I know the Incredible is similar but I don't like the Sense UI and I want the fastest possible OS updates).

My question is who has better overall coverage around the U.S. - AT&T or Sprint? I live 40 miles from Boston in Massachusetts and around New England is where the majority of my usage will take place. I do travel few times a year to other parts of the country though.

Advertisement
  2. 1080p

1080p Well-Known Member

Well... There has been no mention of Nexus One for Sprint by Googe. Not one peep out of Google. Only Sprint has said something about it. I think Sprint might end up getting screwed out of it too. Check out this story:

Google Nexus One, Not On Verizon, Sprint Will Take What They Can Get [Confirmed]

Sprint is "willing to support Google's direct sales website." But it doesn't say that Sprint is getting it... especially Google is not saying it.

Like with Verizon's Droid Incredible, I have a feeling Google will promote the Sprint EVO 4G on their site.

3. droiddecar

For argument's sake, let's assume Sprint is getting the N1, although I know it is still iffy.

4. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

5. RetiredFinally

RetiredFinally Well-Known Member

I am 20 miles south of Boston and travel to the cape and west with no interruption of service anywhere, especially in the small coastal town I live in. My daughter has AT&T and has decent service but does drop calls in Watertown area, depends on where you live I guess. I am sticking with Sprint and hoping to get the Evo late this year when I have one year on this contract.

Good Luck

6. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

I'd look really carefully at sprints network before choosing them. Honestly. It pains me to say it bit I think att and vzw have the best networks outside Boston. I work in Lexington and live in boxborough, and it just gets crazy spotty in the country. City areas seem to be good on all the networks

7. ragingyeti

ragingyeti Well-Known Member

I've lived in rural New England my whole life, and at&t is by far the only choice for me. They even beat Verizon for service everywhere I go, and I do a lot of travelling in the northeast. Could be just personal experience but I wouldn't go with anyone else.

8. droiddecar

I wound up getting the Nexus One and switching to AT&T. I did some tests and saw that AT&T has good coverage where I live and work. Also with Sprint hyping the EVO 4G I don't see them releasing the N1 anytime soon and possibly not at all. It's too bad these new powerful Android phones are all coming out with some crap laid over the solid Android mobile OS.

9. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Congrats on your new Nexus! :D Welcome to the club! Hope to see you actively posting! lol...all of the manufacturers should just leave the vanilla Android on the phone and give the user the decision whether or not they want to install the skin (don't remember the proper name) over it like Sense XD That way you buy the phone for the Android and hardware only...