Going from Nokia to Android

Last Updated:

1. Quboid

Quboid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well, my HTC Hero is on order and will, fingers crossed, be here on Friday. Next problem...

All my contacts, calendar appointments, todo lists and general PIM stuff are on my Nokia N95 8GB and the Nokia Ovi website. It seems none of the phone, it's PC software nor Ovi have any kind of export system.

Can I copy these to my new Android phone any way other than slowly and painfully?

Advertisement
  2. gibbo

gibbo Member

I'm waiting for my Hero to turn up tomorrow, but i'm also going from an N95 to Android.
    I currently sync my N95 with Outlook. So i'm assuming it should automatically go the other way with HTC Sync (hoping anyway :rolleyes:)

3. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Do you store only names & numbers, or more than that (birthdays, addresses, notes, etc.)?

There used to be a very good 3rd-party Nokia suite out there ... it's been years since I tried it, though, so it may no longer be around. Depending on the number of contacts, it may be well worth the time investment to go looking for a mass export solution.

By the way, my experience with the GMail contacts importer is that, whichever import format you choose, only about 80% of the fields will get imported correctly -- you will have quite a bit of manual typing ahead of you.

Good luck!

4. Quboid

I store more than just names and numbers, but not much more. I don't have Outlook, is there a free version I could use, sync it with my N95, then when the Hero arrives, sync it with it and then uninstall Outlook?

5. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

Export your N95 contacts out into a csv file ... then import them into Google account online with your pc ...

be sure that the google account you use to import your contacts into is the same account that you plan on registering your phone with ...

Then the contacts will be automatically sync'd with your phone after registration

6. ecstatic

ecstatic New Member

^
    Exactly so.

If there are more options for csv export use "comma delimited" or anything with this meaning (meaning: it will separate values with commas)

7. KlaymenDK

I would recommend that you first create a GMail contact that has everything filled in, and then export that, so you know what to aim for. If I can figure out how, I'll attach a sample file. Keep in mind, though, that not all those fields are going to be able to imported again, so play around a bit. :rolleyes::(

8. Quboid

Thanks guys, I think I've got there. I have a Google account already, mail and checkout and suchlike. I installed Outlook (it was on my Office DVD, no problem), which the Nokia PC Software will let you sync with your phone. Then I exported as .CSV from within Outlook - I tried iCalendar but it wouldn't work. I exported my contacts straight from the Nokia software to .CSV.

Everything's working but I did find a few glitches. My contacts had most of the details in the notes section, so instead of populating the Date of Birth section on the website, it just displayed it in the notes. I put this down to Nokia's software exporting in a slightly different format to what Google expects and I've corrected things by hand. It's also been a good opportunity to clean it out a bit. A few things in the calendar are different, like events not repeating, but I'll sort them out in due course.

Why is the contacts page so hard to find? I had to google for Google Contacts to find it.

9. KlaymenDK

Yeah, generally Dates, Persons, and the other 'extra' fields you can call up in GMail aren't imported correctly -- no matter how you handle the import file (and which format you choose), so I don't think you could have done much better.

As for Contacts, I have one link under the folder list (well, tags) as well as another up top next to Calendar and Documents. The pain for me is usually to get it to open in a new tab instead of swapping away from whatever folder or email I'm currently in.

10. ascanio1

ascanio1 Active Member

Hi,

Without correctly importing contact birthdays & notes (client's specific invoicing instructions & Bday reminders) I cannot migrate to Android. These fields are FUNDAMENTAL & I cannot fix entries 1 by 1 bcs I have 1618 contacts.

Did anything change since Summer 2009? Any new/better importing system S/W? I checked in the FAQs... but nothing new.

Any help? Please? (N8 or N95 8GB to hTC DHD).

TIA.

11. sibnick

sibnick New Member

12. Spaceprobe

Spaceprobe Well-Known Member

When I made the switch I set up a Google account in advance. It made the whole process very easy, no regrets