Going out of the country. with my DROID X!!

Last Updated:

1. ComputerPro

ComputerPro Active Member This Topic's Starter

I well be travelling to Lebanon for 3 weeks. So what can I do with my droid X out of the country? Well Wifi work over there? Could I use my phone? Can I use my GPS to find things over there? Well any apps work? Well I have internet threw the network?

Advertisement
  2. 10splaya22

10splaya22 Well-Known Member

I would recommend not turning it on unless you want lots of fees. But I would call Verizon and see what they have to say about it.

3. ComputerPro

ComputerPro Active Member This Topic's Starter

so gps would not work ?

4. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

GPS will work, however GMaps uses 3G/WiFi in order to get you on the map. Without it, I have no idea how it'll work. Perhaps you can somehow save the entire map of Lebanon in Gmaps and have it sync with your phone? You should also be able to turn off 3G in order to not incur any data fees from Verizon. FWIW, I just found an app called TiKL that supposedly mimics a push-to-talk device allowing you to use WiFi to walkie talkie with other Android devices in order to "make" calls. (Haven't used the app yet, so can't really comment, but it's free).

5. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Despite what many apparently think, Google Maps/Nav isn't the only GPS app on Android. It's certainly not the only GPS nav solution.

But any app that requires data may be an issue if you can't get coverage there. I can't see many GPS-related apps being of much use if you're restricted to WiFi hotspots. There are resources out there for determining if you'll have CDMA coverage, including Verizon international support.

No need for that. You can always switch on airplane mode.

FYI threw != through.

6. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Bet you wish it was a GSM phone now.