Going to America, need pre paid data plan for my Nexus One

Last Updated:

1. kaotix

kaotix Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am going to America in a few months and I wanted to do some prior planning for using my Nexus One while I'm there.
    I've previously taken my iPhone and used a pre paid sim for voice calls and txts to and from the UK.

The main problem with the SIM I used is that it doesn't support 3G or any sort of data, so having a smart phone is pretty much useless as I cannot use google maps or any other location based services without having a Wi-Fi connection.

I want to find a pre paid SIM that I can use that has a data plan available as well that I can obviously top up while I'm there or over the internet while I'm there.

I would appreciate any help with this.
    Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. konman795

konman795 Well-Known Member

Do you know which model your Nexus One is? Because we have had 2 Nexus One releases in the Americas, each having support for 3G bands of 2 different companies: AT&T and T-Mobile. You may have to figure that out before picking out a carrier.

3. danimar

danimar Active Member

if he's from the UK I'm quite sure it will be a T-Mobile one.

Last time I checked (4 months ago) I couldn't find any prepaid SIM that offered data in the US

4. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-) VIP Member

AT&T offers data with their Gophone (prepay) SIM at 100Mb for $20 for 30days (it will rollover if you need to, but you have to add 1Mb for $5 at the end of 30 days to get it to roll over for another 30 days.

Prepaid cell phone, GoPhone

5. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

It looks like you need to sign a contract to get the 'even more plus' plan since it's a monthly plan. :confused:

6. Hook

No. No contract. It is month-to-month.

You do have to pay an activation fee, but you can quit any time.

7. konman795

konman795 Well-Known Member

Oh yea, T-mobile has some really nice plans here...forgot about that! And they are also CHEAPER if you aren't on contract.

8. errfoil

errfoil Member

I just talked to T-Mo and they confirmed everything that Hook posted; pay $25 to start, and then just pay for whatever level of service you want on a month to month basis. When you are done, just go home! No contract, no recurring charges, no cancellation fees.

Watch out for AT&T. They have something similar (GoPhone), but they have a separate coverage map for their GoPhone service, and it covers nothing but large cities, very, very limited. Don't get suckered in by the coverage map for their contact plans

Also, as someone else mentioned, if you already have a phone then you don't have a choice. You either have an AT&T phone, or you have the T-Mo version.

9. Hook

I use the gophone plan and it works nicely for me, but you are right in issuing your caution.

Here is a thread I started on Brighthand, describing the plan and why my peculiar circumstances make it right for me (a lot of good reading contributed by other people as well in that thread). I started it back when I had a Nokia 5800, now I use it with my Nexus One.

10. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

Reason it is cheaper is because if you want this plan, you have to either already have a phone or pay full price for a phone (although, they have EIP now so you can spread that cost into monthly payments, however, if you cancel before you pay it off, you have to pay the balance).

The plan prices are cheaper w/o contract because they don't have the cost of subsidizing a phone for you.

You may think you are getting a "free" phone, but when you pay higher for a contracted rate with a subsidized phone, is it really free?

11. kaotix

12. Talderon

Talderon Well-Known Member

13. kaotix

Thanks for the information, I'll be sure to try and find a corporate store to get a SIM. I did look on eBay and I think I might be able to pick one up that's already activated but they have different state numbers so it may not be worth my while.