• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Going to buy a new phone tomorrow

Ok so tomorrow I will be going to the mall and playing with the sprint phones

I have 2 that I want .. the EVO or the EPIC .. or let me know if anything better

the main thing I want to do is hotspot .. (root or pay I don't care) .. and pandora/slacker but my main reason for getting a new phone is the hotspot

right now i have a crackberry 8300

I like the bigger phones and I dont think a full qwerty is going to sway me to the epic ...

im only leaning more for the EVO due to the large amount of apps,support , rooting and such ...

at one time I was told the epic was far better bc of the processor but if I was to root both and put them side to side what is my best choice ..

Thanks Mike

I have both the Epic and Evo. I got the Epic first because I thought I simply HAD to have a physical keyboard. 10 years of BlackBerry use ingrained the superiority of a real keypad in my brain. Trying to use the on-screen keyboard on my wife's iPhone only served to reinforce the idea that on-screen sucked. Then I tried the Evo and realized I didn't need the physical keyboard at all. The huge screen on the Evo makes the on-screen keyboard not only adequate but actually better than the BlackBerry's physical one. Never thought I'd say that.

I really didn't care for the Epic's keyboard. Maybe it was just too different from the BlackBerry's. I considered the BB keyboard (8800, 9000, 9650) the best ever. I send 50-100 emails and text messages combined each day and the Evo handles that workload easily. There's nothing worse than sending that many messages on a keyboard you consider substandard.

Unless you want to buy my Epic ($325 shipped :D ) I highly recommend the Evo.

Upvote 0
I have both the Epic and Evo. I got the Epic first because I thought I simply HAD to have a physical keyboard. 10 years of BlackBerry use ingrained the superiority of a real keypad in my brain. Trying to use the on-screen keyboard on my wife's iPhone only served to reinforce the idea that on-screen sucked. Then I tried the Evo and realized I didn't need the physical keyboard at all. The huge screen on the Evo makes the on-screen keyboard not only adequate but actually better than the BlackBerry's physical one. Never thought I'd say that.

I really didn't care for the Epic's keyboard. Maybe it was just too different from the BlackBerry's. I considered the BB keyboard (8800, 9000, 9650) the best ever. I send 50-100 emails and text messages combined each day and the Evo handles that workload easily. There's nothing worse than sending that many messages on a keyboard you consider substandard.

Unless you want to buy my Epic ($325 shipped :D ) I highly recommend the Evo.

^ That right there. I have both. They are both great. I like my EVO better though for small little reasons. Manly just little personal preferences. Play with them and decide which you like better.

Upvote 0
Sprint has a Hot Dual screen phone coming out soon. Are you sure you dont want to wait?

If you are sure about EVO vs Epic.... I would say the Epic has a nicer display and it has a keyboard(if you want a keyboard). But the EVO has Kickstand, HDMI output, Android 2.2 and better support from the Manufacturer.

Upvote 0
Save the extra 10 bucks a month n get the optimus. My brother has the evo his screen is bigger but I get all the same functions on my optimus (except flash) but most video streaming sites don't work on evo either so its cool.

While the Optimus is a good phone and you can have free hot spot on it...it won't get you away from the $10 fee. The fee is on all smartphones now. If I had known they were going to do that back when I got my Optimus I would have got an EVO. ;)

Upvote 0
Save the extra 10 bucks a month n get the optimus. My brother has the evo his screen is bigger but I get all the same functions on my optimus (except flash) but most video streaming sites don't work on evo either so its cool.

your advice is soooooo off...
with everything...

$10 is on all smartphones now

and the difference between EVO and Optimus.. is Hugh!

Upvote 0
OK I got my evo .... now im reading up on how to root it.... here hoping I dont brick it

and thanks everyone ... I like it so far but have not got a chance to play yet

Read way more than you think you need to. Once you think you have it all down read a lot more.

once rooted.. get the "sprint lover" ROM.. it is very close to stock.. but with some added performance and add-ons.

that way you can get a feel for stock..

I think that they should get to know stock before they root. Then they have a better feel for the phone before they dive into modding it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones