• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Going to buy myself a 16GB SDHC card.

I got this one - also from Play.com - and can confirm it's a pumped up class 2 card working at class 6 speeds. :)
Is this one Play.com 16GB Micro SDHC Memory Card (Class 2) - Mobiles at Play.com (UK) different than this one
16GB Polaroid by PNY SDHC Micro SD Card BRAND NEW NIB - eBay (item 170414715428 end time Aug-28-10 23:01:58 PDT)???

Upvote 0
Sorry for the noob question but... what are the classes that you guys are referring to?

Its to say how fast the card is rated to be able to write in MB\s to it constantly.

There are 4 classes 2,4,6 & 10 - the higher the number the better the card. However these are manufacturer minimums so you could quite easily get a card that can punch above its weight so you might get a class 2 that performs at class 6 speeds but this will probably be card\batch specific so always best to buy the actual class you need.

For 720P recording you need to be looking at a class4 rated card minimum.

And practice safe SD, always buy from a reputable seller and a known brand. ;)

Reactions: beardeye
Upvote 0
another noob question if i may...

if i buy a new SD card what is the best way to transfer information from my current one to the new one so that I dont lose anything?
I believe you can just copy the entire contents to your PC, then copy over to the new card.

Oh and while im at it- whats the differnce between SD and MicroSD?
They use the same technology, it's just that MicroSD cards are about a quarter of the size.

Upvote 0
another noob question if i may...

if i buy a new SD card what is the best way to transfer information from my current one to the new one so that I dont lose anything?

Oh and while im at it- whats the differnce between SD and MicroSD?

micro sd and sd are physically different sizes micro sd is as it sounds a much smaller card as this photograph illustrates.
EMTF8GO2.jpg

This is a micro sd card (bottom right) with an adapter so it fits into sd card slots (like in cameras)

I just got a new mirco sd for my desire and transferred all the data by plugging the desire in with the usb cable (in disk drive mode) and plugged the new micro sd card into my computers card reader, then just copied and pasted the data across.

Hope that helps

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones