going to epic from storm

Last Updated:

1. rcs8104

rcs8104 Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 4, 2010
    I am about to get an epic 4g moving from the original storm but have a few question before I pull the trigger.
    1. If you get emails from exchange do you receive them immediately or do you have to wait a certain amount of time between emails?
    2. How well does exchange work witht the epic? Any need to buy a program such as touchdown?
    3. Can anyone suggest a good app to get preferrably free for ring profiles like the blackberry has and also a good program for holding passwords.
    4. Is there a certain software version I want to make sure is on the phone after I purchase?

Thanks for you help.

2. ACEinthehole

ACEinthehole Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Sprint will have the latest software version.

I'm not sure about ringtones but with Android there are thousands of apps to choose from so I'm sure that you'll find something that you like. Also, when you put your music on the phone you can use one of your favorite songs as a ringtone, and this is free.

I do not use exchange email support but i'm sure it is good. I do use K9 app for email, it is free and usually retrieves the emails faster than my computer. Just so you know, IMO Blackberry is the king of email and Android is catching up.
  3. pablo.station

pablo.station Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2010

swanysto Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2010
    2. can't help you.
    3. Yes, I have the blackberry notifications on my phone. The programs are called "Blackberry Ringtones" by SharkBite and "Blackberry Notifications" by PLAY FISH
    PART 2: not sure about the passwords program.

4. Not sure what you mean by software version. If you buy today, you will get Eclair OS. You will have the DI18, which to this point is the newest factory version.
  5. Othan1

Othan1 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    You can set how you get your email from Exchange from Push (immediately) to every few hours.

Contacts, calendar, folders, mail all sync.

I use mine on Push when I work from home.
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    This is the same change I made from the original storm that I really liked and had no problems with to an Epic and the move was a great move. We use an Exchange 2007 server and I use Push email and yes mail comes immediately. You can set sync times but I have mine set to always sync and for ring tones you can pull the ring tones off your storm and put them on the mSd card and use them on the Epic. Ring tone profiles for each contact works even better on the android phone then the storm. I had 2 BlackBerrys one for work and one for personal. I made the change to Android phones and have never been happier. And one last thing if your company uses BES server you will no longer need to buy licenses.