going to europe but on vzw w a droid, will this work...

Last Updated:

1. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Nov 19, 2009
    Already know that the droid isn't going to work in UK and France where I am going, no GSM (can't wait for that new droid 2 with GSM rumored later this year).

So was thinking of getting a tmo g1 off of craigslist. When I get to europe I will just get sim card with voice and data minutes.

Will all my programs come on to this phone when i register with my google account. So K9 email, weatherbug, all the things I have purchased or downloaded, will they just load like if i did a wipe on the droid? Or can you not have one account go to 2 phones.

I would love to have google maps, my email, a browser over there.

2. MarvinAndroid

MarvinAndroid Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2008
    I've taken my G1 to Germany before (actually I've taken my Droid there as well). Your apps, your email, your contacts and all that stuff is linked to your google account and has nothing to do with whatever SIM card you stick in there. If you are able to get online and get data somehow... all your stuff should be there and should be usable. The problem is... I don't think these pre-paid cards you buy normally are used for Data. They are usually just voice minutes and I have no idea how you would be able to get data over GSM from those.

On the bright side... you could activate the thing over here and connect it to a wifi hotspot to log into your account and sync all your google stuff that way. Then when you are over there you can stick a SIM card in the phone for voice and you will have your contacts in the phone already.

Maybe they sell special SIM cards with pre-paid minutes and Data? I'm not sure. I had T-mobile when I was over there and my G1 worked like a charm. I just had to turn off data roaming most of the trip because that roaming data will cost you an arm and a leg and a few other appendages.

EDIT: I just noticed that you said "sim card with voice and data minutes" so maybe you already know they exist? If yes... then you should be good to go.