Going to root but let me get this clear for myself

Last Updated:

1. moveright

moveright Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've chosen to root my phone. I really don't even know all the benefits and I will likely never see most of them because I'm a basic user but it sounds easy to do so I will.

My main intention is to clear all the bloat and crapware the phone came with. I'm all about the minimalistic installations.

so I have a couple of questions.

1. I root using the "almost one click root" thread/files/instructions right?
    2. Then I will have what? the same exact thing I have now with the only difference being that I can uninstall factory apps like amazon?
    3. then before doing anything, I do a backup. a backup using titanium or a backup using that bootstrap/recover thread on this board? what's the difference or is there any?
    4. then what? just go into application manager and now the uninstall button will be available for said applications?
    5. What about roms? is it easier to just flash with a minimalistic/extreme performance rom? are there any?
    6. last but not least, is there a definitive list (updated) of everything I can uninstall that most people don't want like trials (cityid) and stuff like amazon mp3?

sorry for all the questions. like I said, I'm not a power user. I just use this phone for text and gmail. sometimes browse the web, but I can't stand having uneccessary garbage on my computer so why would I be ok bogging down my phone with it? :)

Advertisement
  2. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

You should stop right there and re-assess. Doing it CAN be easy, but troubleshooting when you do something out of order, or anything incorrectly for that matter, can still brick your phone.

Bottom line, if you don't know why to root, then do some more research.

3. JDunc

JDunc Well-Known Member

He's right. Rooting has got easier but study up before you decide to do the process. Bottom line get RSD lite and download your SBF file wether your running 2.2 or 2.3.20. It can save you for if you mess up and brick.

4. Dabrador

Dabrador Well-Known Member

I'm in the "same boat" as the OP. I appreciate the two responses from the power users, but I don't really want to read up. All I want to do is exactly what the OP wants to do.

Maybe an illustration will help...

I'm a car guy...I love driving my G35, especially on the track. To have fun with my G, I don't need to know the specifics of an internal combustion engine. I don't need to know the dynamics of the viscous limited slip differential. I just want to improve my track time.

If a problem occurs with my G, I take it to an expert...my mechanic.

It's the same with the D2. I just want it to go fast. And to do so, I'd like to take the steps outlined by the OP.

So...I'm asking our power users/mechanics...help us make it fast.

Thanks guys...looking forward to your help!

5. Dabrador

Dabrador Well-Known Member

Anyone???

6. aliaskeefh

aliaskeefh New Member

New to forum , sorry, not sure where to post this.....so
    I want to know if rooting Android 1.6 will enable me to install the drivers for my external USB GPS reciever. The techpad tablet i have does not come with either an internal GPS nor bluetooth. I have downloaded the linux drivers for the Bluenext BN-903S GPS reciever and many 'salesmen' have told me it will work based on all I have read here and elsewhere I will not take rooting lightly but I have a real reason for wanting to get my GPS working.... Please help Many many Thx Keef

7. JDunc

JDunc Well-Known Member

8. Super_Six_Two

Super_Six_Two Well-Known Member

I dont think anyone is going to give you a step by step guide about everything that could happen if you root your phone. That would take way too long to write. All the information you want is here, you just have to find it. I learned it be reading everything I could and asking specific questions.

9. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

Sorry but saying you don't feel like reading up is not a good start.

Please let us know when you want to do some reading because there is alot of it needed to get you to where you need to be.

There are "how to root" threads, and you want to look up "overclocking".

I am a car buff myself, but when my 99 Camaro SS funked up on the drag strip, I had to troubleshoot it myself. My HAL 12-way adjustable drag suspension needed to be tuned to run perfectly - did my mechanic come with me to tune it, nope. I had to in between runs. For maximum performance, I needed to apply myself to the "max" as well, which included doing some learning.
    Is your mechanic going to tell you why you broke your rear end when you launched a 1.6? Probably not. Were you running MT ET Streets or Nitto DRs? You are hooking up hard, and that's why you need a stronger rear end. There are certain variables you control.

So what happens when your phone locks up and you don't know how to fix it? Is it kernel voltage? Is it too high of a speed?

Catch my drift...?

10. Raptor007

Raptor007 Well-Known Member

I do understand why to root and what I will get, but it also seems I should wait a bit until the D2G sbf file comes out just in case. Does anyone know how long it typically takes for the SBF files to come along for a phone after its launched?