• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Going to root....

Can I load stupidfast through rom manager? I removed one click lag fix. Do I need to remove the ext2 thingy as well? When froyo comes out, do I have to reload stupidfast? Im confused a bit now that im rooted....nitsuj where are you? lol

Yes you can load stupidfast through rom manager.I'm not sure what ext2 you are talking about.And from what I've heard no you should not have to reload stupidfast..I hope not..

Upvote 0
Can I load stupidfast through rom manager? I removed one click lag fix. Do I need to remove the ext2 thingy as well? When froyo comes out, do I have to reload stupidfast? Im confused a bit now that im rooted....nitsuj where are you? lol

Yes you can load stupidfast through rom manager.I'm not sure what ext2 you are talking about.And from what I've heard no you should not have to reload stupidfast..I hope not..
Yeah guys as long as you know where it is on your sdcard you can load any kernel or rom from ROM Manager. Now some you can DL right thru RM and some like geeknik's arent there yet and you still have to do it the old fashioned way where you DL on computer than copy it over.
Also your kernel is will unaffected by ROM changes, whether or not any eclair kernel will work on froyo is uncertain at this point but anyone who built an eclair kernel can and will have a froyo one within minutes, so dont worry at all

Upvote 0
Ok I got rom manager. Anything I click, it says I have to flash clockworkmod recovery. It says to do this with rom manager? Is that the first option thingy? Is stupidfast a rom? I thought it was a kernell. How do I use rom manager to load a kernell? And where do I put the zip file on my sd card for stupidfast? And how do i back up my phone? Thanks in advance!

Bob

Upvote 0
Ok I got rom manager. Anything I click, it says I have to flash clockworkmod recovery. It says to do this with rom manager? Is that the first option thingy? And where do I put the zip file on my sd card for stupidfast? And how do i back up my phone? Thanks in advance!

Bob
OK Bob did you flash CWM with odin yet? If not:Clockworkmod installation how to for windows / *nix - xda-developers
Once yours says ClockworkMod 2.5.1.0 the hit that line and select Fascinate
you can put the stupidfast anywhere you want. I have a folder called kernels to make it easy for me. Also note that anything you download from ROMManager goes into a folder called clockworkmod. Backup and restore is done in CWM and/or stock recovery. Its right there as an option

Upvote 0
Ok I got rom manager. Anything I click, it says I have to flash clockworkmod recovery. It says to do this with rom manager? Is that the first option thingy? Is stupidfast a rom? I thought it was a kernell. How do I use rom manager to load a kernell? And where do I put the zip file on my sd card for stupidfast? And how do i back up my phone? Thanks in advance!

Bob

bob forgive for me not skimming back through all the old posts but did you ever put clockwork recovery on your phone through odin program on your computer.

unlike say the droid incredible we cant flash clockwork mod from our phones only it has to be "put" there. once it has been put in through odin then you flash it through rom manager (usually takes 2 times). then you can d/l stuff rom it and apply it in recovery.

also you need clockwork recovery to load kernels/themes/roms (mostly at xda) that you put on your sdcard through the computer. make sure that all of the ext2 is completely gone as well.

Upvote 0
Yeah guys as long as you know where it is on your sdcard you can load any kernel or rom from ROM Manager. Now some you can DL right thru RM and some like geeknik's arent there yet and you still have to do it the old fashioned way where you DL on computer than copy it over.
Also your kernel is will unaffected by ROM changes, whether or not any eclair kernel will work on froyo is uncertain at this point but anyone who built an eclair kernel can and will have a froyo one within minutes, so dont worry at all

Well I got 1.5 of the questions answered haha glad you guys could finish it up

Upvote 0
I dont think I have odin? I downloaded stuff to root thats all? how do I flash cwm?

all the info on getting the proper drivers and getting odin and the odin files is here:

Clockworkmod installation how to for windows / *nix - xda-developers

a word of caution with odin though.....NEVER EVER CLICK ON THE PHONE BUTTON TO FLASH....we use pda as clicking phone will overwrite your radio and leave you with a $600 paperweight.

sorry to sound scary but some....well unlucky individuals.....have done this. its simple really as long as you are prudent and have the proper drivers installed though :D

Upvote 0
Ok I think I will stick to one click lag fix dor now and leave the ext2 files on there. Mich faster than stock! I dont want to chance a paperweight! Grrr now im disappointed!

fair enough. i will say that its been more or less proven that the ext2 lagfix on our phones is mostly placebo, if anything it d be such mininmal gains as to not affect real world usage. even voodoo doesnt provide the boost it should (or we d like it to) but that does have tangible gains mostly (or it did til nonvoodo kernel development jumped way ahead)

currently jt-based kernels from november on without lagfix are generally lagfree and better than lagfix kernels from late october :)

Upvote 0
Then why do I have snappier phone now with oclf? I'm confused lol

could be other things you did. i mean i cant unequivocally say that it doesnt help your phone perform faster, but smarter people than me have stated that is mostly placebo.

in the sgs world the ext2 lagfix has mostly become old news and with the exception of some people who swear by it, kinda dead :)

but honestly if you are happy with it, far be it from me to tell you that you shouldn't be :cool:

Upvote 0
I dont have unroot? Just defrost all the frozen crap and im good to go? Easy enough....also I read somewere that I can flash cwm in rom manager and I can load roms throigh there as well as kernells? I thought I had to do it from my laptop? Man, I must be annoying you guys! Sorry. When the 2.2 rom comes out I can ise rom manager to update as well?

Upvote 0
I dont have unroot? Just defrost all the frozen crap and im good to go? Easy enough....also I read somewere that I can flash cwm in rom manager and I can load roms throigh there as well as kernells? I thought I had to do it from my laptop? Man, I must be annoying you guys! Sorry. When the 2.2 rom comes out I can ise rom manager to update as well?

^^^ what about the rom manager thing? Can I brick my phone using the rm?

Upvote 0
^^^ what about the rom manager thing? Can I brick my phone using the rm?

well if you have clockwork mod generally (this is my understanding) you can possibly get the ota to d/l but it might not install correctly or at all. however since we have the semi-hacked togther update.zip cwr it might be ok.

honestly id wait the day or two to get it from birdman/jt and flash it that way.

Upvote 0
So if I get the rom manager app and use the first option install clockwork mod recovery, that will not brick my phone. Then backup current rom. Am I correct? Then I can apply roms, kernells, and the 2.2 jt update through RM? And none of this will brick my phone?

Upvote 0
So if I get the rom manager app and use the first option install clockwork mod recovery, that will not brick my phone. Then backup current rom. Am I correct? Then I can apply roms, kernells, and the 2.2 jt update through RM? And none of this will brick my phone?

you need to flash clockwork recovery with the odin3 program. our phones can't flash clockwork recovery directly from rom manager like say an eris.

Clockworkmod installation how to for windows / *nix - xda-developers

you need the drivers installed on ur computer, the odin program and all files. then once thats installed you open rom manager and flash recovery twice. then you are good to go

Upvote 0
Thats says to put phone in download mode...is that debugging? Nitsuj....you should set up a way for me to contact you should anything go wrong :D

d/l mode = hold down volume and plug in the usb cord :)

either myself or any of the other frequenters of these boards stop by often, so if you encounter a problem we are here to help.

please with odin though, read carefully through the warnings. *NEVER USE ANYTHING BUT THE PDA BUTTON* when selecting your files (well and PIT for system restore) but avoid the Radio button at all costs.

we do not have the modem.bin file to restore radio if thats written over.

phew....loud warning aside its not hard ;)

Upvote 0
For some reason I cant log into here on my laptop? Also, sounds stoopid I know, but what is a rom and a kernell and what do they do? Is the auper dark rom a theme? I like the stupid dark post in the show your screen post. Thats what I want to make mine look like. Isnt 2.2 a rom? Will that over write the dark thing? Nitsuj...i was meaning....like a direct line to call thatyou answer without having to hold! lol:D

Upvote 0
For some reason I cant log into here on my laptop? Also, sounds stoopid I know, but what is a rom and a kernell and what do they do? Is the auper dark rom a theme? I like the stupid dark post in the show your screen post. Thats what I want to make mine look like. Isnt 2.2 a rom? Will that over write the dark thing? Nitsuj...i was meaning....like a direct line to call thatyou answer without having to hold! lol:D

feel free to pm me anytime and from like 6 am to 6pm im not far from a computer usually.

overly simplistic and not entirely correct explanation: kernel=speed of phone

rom=modified os

if you are new to flashing stuff stick with jts super clean 0.4 rom and one of jts nonvoodoo kernels in rom manager. the rom is around 150 mb though so be on wifi. :)

you can get the theme from super dark at xda (its linked in my theme/rom post above)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones