• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Going to root....

Kernell is speed
Rom is o/s
and theme is themes...lol
Can they all be applied through RM? Can a theme be used with just root?

yes, but.........you'd need to pull apart the update.zip file and extract whatever is there, ie framework-res, tw-framework-res, (maybe) services.jar copy them to the root of your sdcard and push them with adb.

even then it wouldnt have fonts or apps (i do this for status bars occasionally when im mixing stuff together)

really you need clockwork recovery to apply themes, kernels, and roms as rom manager will need to boot into cwr to apply these things. :)

Upvote 0
Whay is oden and adb? Do I need to worry about odex and deodex?

Bob, http://androidforums.com/fascinate-...-2-november-2010-6-45am-central-u-s-time.html

i would do some reading in Frisco's sticky and familiarize yourself with some things going on with recovery, and a little adb tutorial.

i know its a lot to process and i through out a lot of different things previously. might be best to just take a step back read as much as you can and then ask away if you have any questions as I can't really explain odin3 or adb any better than those guides could :D

Upvote 0
Well Nitsuj, I have read alot of that, but technology has passed me by over the years. That said, Im no slouch when it comes to figuring things out for the most part. I do really appriciate the help so far, as I will read that link to the fullest that I can. I am sure I will get back to you with more questions in the future.

One more item to address, now that im rooted can and how do I broadcast 3g so that people can use my phone for internet access without paying verizon for it? Some co workers of mine have icraps that dont get signal in our shop, and are willing to pay a minimal fee for the net from me? :D

Upvote 0
Well Nitsuj, I have read alot of that, but technology has passed me by over the years. That said, Im no slouch when it comes to figuring things out for the most part. I do really appriciate the help so far, as I will read that link to the fullest that I can. I am sure I will get back to you with more questions in the future.

One more item to address, now that im rooted can and how do I broadcast 3g so that people can use my phone for internet access without paying verizon for it? Some co workers of mine have icraps that dont get signal in our shop, and are willing to pay a minimal fee for the net from me? :D

well i dont know about "charing" others for using it :rolleyes:

but wireless tether for root (market) allows for free tethering.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ok made a back up!! gonna make another one just in case and name it something else! lol yea, Im over paraniod! now how do i get stupid fast and super dark?

Bob-o, there are multiple versions of StupidFast with the latest one being here:
[Kernel] StupidFast v1.2.3 (UV Test / No Voodoo)

and the first one being here:
[KERNEL] StupidFast v1.0.36 (Stable)

With the kernel, download it to your SD card. Then I would recommend booting into stock recovery by turning the device off and then holding Power+Vol. up+Vol. down. Note though to select something in stock recovery you use the home softkey, as opposed to the back softkey in Clockwork. Here, choose 'wipe cache partition'. Then choose 'apply sdacard:update.zip' and it will boot you into Clockwork. Then, in CW, Choose 'install zip from sdcard'. Then choose 'choose zip from sdcard' and navigate to the folder that you downloaded the kernel (.zip file) to. Choose that, hit 'yes install...' and it will flash the kernel. Then go back and select 'reboot system now'. After that you'll be running the kernel you selected :)

For the Super Dark ROM, the thread is here:
[ROM] Super Dark Beta v1.1 [Updated 11-15: More UI + map search key to anything]

It has both versions there so choose whichever version you want and download the .zip file to the root of your SD card (don't put into a folder on the SD, just put it on the SD). I would recommend booting into stock recovery again. Here select 'wipe cache partition' again. After that, select 'apply sdcard:update.zip' and it will boot you into Clockwork recovery. Before anything, go into 'advanced' and select 'wipe Davlik cache' and hit yes after that. Then go back and select 'wipe cache partition' and hit yes after that. Then go to 'install zip from sdcard' and 'choose zip from sdcard'. Navigate to the .zip of the ROM and select it and then yes. Then go back and 'reboot system now'. Voila, you're running a custom ROM :)

Let us know if you have any problems

Upvote 0
Ok trying to put rom on...got to wipe cache again...""""" I would recommend booting into stock recovery again. Here select 'wipe cache partition' again. After that, select 'apply sdcard:update.zip' and it will boot you into Clockwork recovery. Before anything, go into 'advanced' and select 'wipe Davlik cache' and hit yes after that."""" it seems to be stuck....someone help!!! i got stupid fast on just trying to get super dark on....

Upvote 0
"""" I would recommend booting into stock recovery again. Here select 'wipe cache partition' again. After that, select 'apply sdcard:update.zip' and it will boot you into Clockwork recovery. Before anything, go into 'advanced' and select 'wipe Davlik cache' and hit yes after that. Then go back and select 'wipe cache partition' and hit yes after that""" ok got stupid fast on...was working on rom and got to wipe cache and it is stuck...my phone screen says clockwork mod recovery v2.5.1.0 --wiping cache... how loch does this take??? HELPPP!!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones