Going to *try* & Root using z4root..(help?)

Last Updated:

1. xxteargodxx

xxteargodxx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

EDIT - Okay I've run z4root and it went through the process and rebooted my phone (Motorola Droid). When looking through my list of apps, I have one listed called "Superuser" does that mean I am now rooted?

Just leaving this topic open just in case anyone could help me out on what to do possibly after my phone *might* be rooted..

Running the program in 3...2...1...

Advertisement
  2. bigdroiddog

bigdroiddog Well-Known Member

yes, now have fun with it

3. xxteargodxx

Do you think it is safe to install custom ROMs? Or could I brick my Droid doing that? I want to do it so bad...I'm just afraid of bricking my phone.

4. xxteargodxx

Okay quick question, if I want to overclock my Droid with SetCPU do I need to install a Custom ROM on it? Or can I still overclock without a Custom ROM?

5. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

-yes you can install custom roms

-no you do not need a custom rom to overclock, but you DO need a custom kernel if you want to overclock above the stock kernels top speed

there are a ton of threads here about where to get kernels, how to OC, etc. Assuming you are truly rooted - just because the Z4root installed Superuser does not "prove" your rooted per se. 1 way to find out is to install something like ROM Manager - you WILL need that app to help all the great rooted functions - and in ROM Manager try flash Clockworkmod recovery and boot into recovery and make a backup of your ROM before you do anything. If you can do this, you know your rooted.

jeneraljo and tachnician199 like this.
  6. bleedGreen

bleedGreen Well-Known Member

How do you install custom ROMS? and all that jazz?

I am "this close" to ROOTING, based on these new apps to Root. I'm not scared just want to make sure I do things correctly, and have the right tools, and have the sugestions of utilizing the right custom Roms, and kernals

7. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

I won't go into how to do all of the rooting and installing custom ROMS given it has all been covered many, many times in these forums so no reason to try to recount it all here.

Did you see the Sticky at the very top of this forum?

8. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Regarding bricking: Nobody has ever bricked their Droid 1 before. Ever. At least not in a way that's attributable to having root. It's simply impossible. I don't think you could even brick it by unplugging it while flashing using RSD Lite... but I'm not gonna attempt that. ;)

Regarding ROMs: Go download ROM Manager and look into using it. It should really be intuitive and painless, to be honest, or you're doing it wrong.

9. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

But whatever you do: as SOON as you have ROM Manager or a custom recovery image (SP Recovery or ClockworkMod Recovery) installed and working, MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP of your phone's known good state so you have something to fall back on if things go south... and they likely will if you don't have a backup (Murphy's Law is a LAW).

10. bigdroiddog

bigdroiddog Well-Known Member

oh yea and to really learn about what to do when you root you phone, read alot, you will learn everything you need to know through stickys and tons of post in here, i promise.

11. tachnician199

tachnician199 Member

Used z4 root and it worked flawlessly! I followed Lock-n-Load's advice and installed ROM manager and backed up my stock rom. Now onto the customization!