going with sprint for first time.

Last Updated:

1. WaSTeLaNd

WaSTeLaNd Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, switching to sprint what is this "data cap" I see floating around the forum? Does this mean With the $69.99 plan you get a data cap on 3g/4g? Thank you...

Advertisement
  2. Aridon

Aridon Well-Known Member

Every carrier has a 5g cap. Rumors are the extra ten bucks removes it.

3. WaSTeLaNd

I'm sorry, but what does that mean 5g? Is that more than enough.I know you think I'm retarted lol

4. koolhand79

koolhand79 Well-Known Member

That means there is a 5 gig cap on how much data u can actually use, even tho they say unlimited. Its pretty hard to go over that cap, but it is possible and with all the high quality content this phone is capable of sending and receiving you would think that $10 has to remove the cap.

WaSTeLaNd likes this.
  5. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton Well-Known Member

Data Cap is 5GB a month right now through Sprint. The extra $10 fee for the HTC EVO 4G is, in part, supposedly due to them removing such data cap.

Yeah, I think that is a heck of a lot of data to be using on a phone anyways, but for those who basically live on their phone, it will be nice to have that cap removed.

With the EVO, your $69.99 plan will end up being $79.99/mo

6. Max Power

Max Power Member

Just for comparison/reference purposes, I'm on track to consume roughly 15gb on my jailbroken iPhone 3G this month. But I stream a fair amount of high quality video, and tether (the streaming video consumes about 10x the tethering). So it's very possible to be a bandwidth hog, but depends on your uses.

With the EVO I can well imagine my consumption becoming twice that on my iPhone, through video sharing and Sprint TV (just gave up cable). As you might expect, I'm not complaining so much about the $10 surcharge.

7. WaSTeLaNd

That's crap if they don't remove it, thank you both...

8. Loonytunes

Loonytunes Well-Known Member

The 5gb cap has already been proved false many times and confirmed with sprint many times. The 5gb limit is only for aircards, and not for cell phones. Cell plans have no cap and are really unlimited. The aircards that you plug in to your computer to get access to internet have a 5gb limit per month NOT APPLICABLE ON YOUR PHONE! Look it up or contact sprint.

chasers likes this.
  9. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

Actually they're just saying it's unlimited for mobile phone applications. Which pretty much translate to not more than 5GB a month for an extended amount of time. :)

10. Loonytunes

Caloy, I average 8-10gb a month on my pre. Have for about a year straight and have never heard a word from Sprint, nor has my bill gone up. I have spoke to Sprint by phone, as others have and have been told that there is no limit on data for phones.. Read the small print on unlimited plans. No mention of 5gb limit. If there was a limit, believe me, I would have been warned by now.

11. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

You're definitely not an average user mate. How are you able to consume that much data? If you don't mind me asking.

12. Loonytunes

I travel every week and tether with the tether apps for the pre. I find in most hotels, with shared internet, Sprint's network is actually faster than the internet in the hotels during peak use times.

13. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

Tethering definitely is not considered Mobile Phone Application. When I say Application, it's not the Apps I'm talking about, but how you apply the usage to your phone. Do yo pay for tethering?

14. Loonytunes

No. I did buy the first tethering app, but I no longer use it. I find the free tethering app to do a better job. Before I started using tethering I did call Sprint and asked if there was a limit on the amount of data I could use per month. Did not specifically mention how I was going to use the data. Was assured there was no limit. Only on aircards.

15. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

So if you would just use your phone, do you think you would go over 5GB? I'm just asking this because of a different issue I have with one of Sprint's policy.

16. Loonytunes

Absolutely not. If it was phone only I would use probably 1-3 max. Now, with the Evo, I could see myself using the phone more than the laptop on 4g, on a day to day basis.

17. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

That's where I'm going, I'll be brief here, since I don't really want to hijack this thread. I wouldn't mind the $10 dollar add on for the increased bandwidth if they gave us tethering with that $10. I don't need 8 devices, I just need 1 my laptop. Heck I don't even intend to tether my laptop that much, since I do have a faster connection at home. Anyway, thanks for being patient with me.

Let's go back into topic. Sorry for hijacking this thread guys.

18. Loonytunes

I agree with you 100%. That $10.00 fee should allow tethering if it is for "Premium Data." It is what it is though. Who knows down the line what they will do. They may pull something like Verizon and take away the tethering fee all together. Okay, back to topic.

19. Dutch54

Dutch54 Well-Known Member

Also new to Sprint...visited Sprint today before I pre ordered at BB...was told my plan was 450 minutes, NO limit on anything else...$69+ our old friend $10 minus my company discount of 20%= $63 per month...

Now, if they'll only come out with a broadband unit that sits in my home and gives me the Net to my desktop while my Evo is out of the house.

20. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

An phone rep lied to you. From the website.

https://manage.sprintpcs.com/output/en_US/manage/MyPhoneandPlan/ChangePlans/popLegalTermsPrivacy.htm

Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Imbedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem):
    The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024 KB equal 1 MB. 1024 MB equal 1 GB.

Let me break this down for you. A mobile broadband card is pci/pci-mini card. A usb modem is a usb modem. An imbedded modem, is your cell phone modem. A phones as a modem is tethering.

So. The card inculded with your pc, the usb modem, your phone, and your phone-as-modem are all capped at 5gigs.

End of story. I have called and asked about this dozens of times. I use between 5-12gigs a month. I have never been charged nor warned. They only RESERVE THE RIGHT TO LIMIT. When you pay the 10 dollar fee, you remove that right. Which means no cap. I currently have tethering my phone, I will root the evo if I have to and not pay the 30 bucks. They just can not tell with the EVO what is the data.

Now if you use less then 5 gigs mostly and occally go over, it is unlimited. But if you are using the modem 24/7 to the point it slows down the network you will get a warning.

Sprint to limit data usage on everything plans | Crave - CNET
    T-Mobile drops cap on 5 GB plan - FierceWireless

AT&T Mobility (NYSE: T ), Verizon Wireless (NYSE: VZ) and Sprint Nextel (NASDAQ: S) all cap at 5 GB their monthly 3G data plans.

mrk likes this.