Gold card question

Last Updated:

1. rumbataz

rumbataz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I want to debrand and upgrade my Virgin Mobile branded HTC Desire as i've lost patience with Virgin Mobile. I have an 8GB micro-SD card in there at the moment - it has a few photos on it and that's about it.

Can I simply make this into a 'gold card' and update using it and then leave it in the phone to use as a storage card too? If so, will the phone then receive future updates automatically?

Advertisement
  2. gd123

gd123 Well-Known Member

i thinking of undertaking this journey too, but on tmobile.

I would like to know the same answer (think my card is 4gb) and also all the posts/threads i should read prior to starting.

Thanks

3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Yes

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/67098-how-flash-debrand-your-desire.html

4. Steve_S_T

Steve_S_T Well-Known Member

Not only can you do that Rumbataz (as Dan confirmed), I'd say it was advisable to do it that way. I use a 16gb micro sd for storage and took that out to debrand, instead using the 4gb card that came with the phone for the gold card. As a result I have to switch the micro sd cards for any updates to install correctly. That's a fairly minor thing but if I had my time again I'd just cut and paste everything off the 16gb "everyday" card onto the pc, format and gold card it then, once de-branding was complete, move everything back onto it. It adds a bit of time and trouble to the debranding process, but thereafter you never need to worry about saying yes or no to an update nor having to switch memory cards.

5. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

why dont you do that now?

thats what i did. you just have to create a new image using the gold card tool as each microSD has its own CID
    now my 8gig is my primary storage and gold card, i have the original 4gig i used to flash the 1st time as a backup

6. Steve_S_T

Steve_S_T Well-Known Member

So the gold card is specific to the micro sd, not the phone, and I could theoretically use a different goldcard for every update?

7. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

The process of creating a goldcard image relies on unique identifiers from the SD card, so yep.

8. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

exatly

9. rumbataz

rumbataz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks everyone. Upgraded to 2.2 (2.09.405.8) using RUU.

10. dowelly

dowelly New Member

Hey guys,

I successfully debranded a few months ago with a gold card. The sd card I used has since been formatted though. I take it this means it will no longer work as a gold card?

If not, can I just create a new gold card for that sd card or will I need a new one?

Thanks for you help.

11. madhatter1689

madhatter1689 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this thread. I made my 8gb sdcard the goldcard and then put in the 16gb sdcard I bought. I went through the whole process again and this time made the 16gb the goldcard and all went well, thankfully.

Also, chrome to phone worked immediately after I did this. It hadn't worked until I did this. Coincidence??!!