Goldcard unlock with stock 2gb card?

Last Updated:

1. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Got a rebel sim but I now want it properly unlocked from Orange UK. Followed the procedure to the letter from here:

How To: Root Your MyTouch 3G (GoldCard Method) | The Unlockr

with the exception of using an SD card reader and perhaps, not surprisingly, it wouldn't work (kept wanting to format SD) after doing the Hex editing - I did the hex editing via the USB cable. It's actually a very straightforward procedure (even for a complete simpleton like me) which I hope to complete later on using my mate's MicroSD card reader.

Has anyone else had any luck with this method and if so was it using the stock 2gb card (apparently this method doesn't work with all SD cards)

Advertisement
  2. FrankTheTank

...oh and by the way, if I do have any luck, I'll be happy to write a full 'how to' if that would be any use for any other locked-in peeps. (Might undo some of the hatred for the poor man's iphone thread ;-) )

:D

3. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

There's a thread here which seems to do it without a card reader. At least I could see no mention of one. How does it compare to the method you tried?

4. FrankTheTank

Did it without a card reader - absolutely no joy.

It let me load the ROM without a problem though- not been able to do that before - said customer ID problem before. However, took the rebelsim out and it still bloody asked me for a code. Bloody pissed off! Took me ages to return the phone to how it was. Had to re-root it again, then do a nandroid restore....Shan't be trying that again....Strange how others have had success with this method...:(

5. globalm

globalm Active Member

You do still need an unlock code. The struggle is only to get it into a state where it will acept one. The Orange unlock codes, which are particular to them, will not be given to you unless you have been with them three months and, in any case, a fault in the Orange ROM makes the unlocking, although apparently successful, fail. Hence you need a standard unlock code and a non-orange ROM.