Golf GPS apps

1. Karuk

Karuk Well-Known Member

Are there any good apps in the android market that can replace a stand alone golf gps device (think SkyCaddie)?

If so please pass on the names of the apps.

Advertisement
  2. sr1982

sr1982 Well-Known Member

+1

I was just signing on to ask this same question.
  3. Karuk

Karuk Well-Known Member

Pocket Caddie GPS

Found it on Androidlib.com

No reviews. I really want and app that allows me to download course maps in my area. I don't want to have to map my own courses.
  4. Ashworth

Ashworth Member

I am also in the process of making a simple one.

I have found creating application with Android to be fun! :)

I will create my own thread once I have something that is worthy of testing. Still working on just getting data loaded and stored within the application.

Cheers,
    Ash
  5. clobber

clobber Well-Known Member

Try freecaddie
  6. Ashworth

Ashworth Member

I think I will be ready for some testers for a GPS Golf application. This will be my first Android application so I am looking for someone that is a little tech savvy (knows how to install 3rd party application etc..).

The application right now is bare-boned and can only display some GPS information. I am hoping to have it done by the end of the week or sooner. :p

I currently don't have an Android device so if you don't even golf and just want to help out a developer then that would be great to!

Send me an email at howfarami [at] gmail [dot] com.

Thanks,
    Ash
  7. sr1982

sr1982 Well-Known Member

Any update on this?
  8. Karuk

Karuk Well-Known Member

I have been using the iGolf app on my buddies iPhone. It's amazing. I start the app and it automatically displays a list of courses within my area. I select my course and I'm playing. The course images are awesome. We tries a couple other golf apps on his iPhone but the suck compared to the iGolf app.

I'm hoping the release an android version soon so I can load it on my Passion/Bravo/Nexus.
  9. frankhugh

frankhugh New Member

I recommend GPSCaddy. There's a free trial version and the paid version is a one-off cost of about $20. It's specially designed for Android phones and has great graphics of the hole you're playing. Excellent support too - they'll quickly map your local course if the map's not already available.
  10. JustDriftin

JustDriftin Well-Known Member

11. irishgator

irishgator Active Member

skydroid is awesome. Very accurate. Used it next to a dedicated golf GPS unit, and it was much better! Looking forward to scorecard capability!
    Heathbar likes this.
  12. Gr8sport

Gr8sport New Member

FreeCaddie is a good golf GPS app, but it is a big drain on your battery. I suggest getting a portable AA booster for your phone. (cheap one is only $20)
  13. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

I used NRange with my Blackberry and now use it on my Droid X.

NRange: Many, many courses. No course downloads!! They will map courses for you if not available. Very responsive to e-mails. Good battery life. If you are off the beaten path, you can map yardage via aerial views. Can measures shot distances.
    Kind of 'bare bones' but not in a bad way. You get front, middle, back of green distances. You CAN map your greens if you want more accuracy however. You don't get 'layup yardages' however.
    I like it for it's simplicity.

Golf Logix: Must download it from Golf Logix(I see is now on the market and app brain). Works awesomely. But is a huge battery hog!!! You must turn your screen off constantly if you plan to make it the 4 hours of a round. Must download courses. It takes a minute or so, so download before you get to the course. Has layup yardages to almost everything. My favorite is 'layup to 100 yards'. That is my scoring range.
    Can enter scores, fairways hit, etc and can be a pain to have to do that and keep moving at the same time. A very good golf GPS app for sure.
  14. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

15. ecooke21

ecooke21 Active Member

Just downloaded/purchased Golflogix gps.. so far one round with it...I like it ALOT.. its kind of pricey, but $39.00 for the year is bearable. Only played 9 holes the other day, every distance was spot on, except one.. no biggie.. it also has alot of the courses i play as a bonus..
  16. VolsMcFalls

VolsMcFalls Well-Known Member

+100!

This app is far and away better than the others. I LOVE the fact that you can use satellite images to get yardages to hazards. And, it doesn't eat the battery too bad either. I recently played a round with it on the whole round and still had sufficient battery. I charged it in the car on the way to the course and on the way home.

GREAT app!
  17. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Golf digest gps is ok too. It was a $1.99 promo when it came out, but I think they got overloaded and pulled it at the moment.
  18. f1nzup

f1nzup Member

For $1.99, you will NOT find a better golf gps app. I love the satellite view with yardages (as someone stated above). I've downloaded quite a few but I always come back to the SkyDroid.
  19. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ # Moderator

I use Skydroid too but it's only as good as the people who mapped the courses. How it works is that someone who knows the course logs onto the Skydroid website, uses Google maps to place 3 markers on each green for front, middle and back. That user can also, if they choose, mark various hazards but it may or may not be done.

So...if you're not going to map each course you play by yourself, major accuracy can't be guaranteed. Having said that, I've had pretty good luck with each course I've played. I've also mapped a course and it's pretty simple, just takes a little time.

Anyway, just wanted everyone to know exactly what they're getting. It's worth the small pricetag IMO.
  20. jev

jev Well-Known Member

The (iPhone) famous GolfShot app is now available on Android too. Bit pricey at $30. Or try GolfCard Pro, at $10 or so a bit better priced. It is coupled to ushandicap.com these days (it used oobgolf before but they switched providers). oobgolf is said to role their own soon.
  21. spb21

spb21 Well-Known Member

I've used skydroid a few times and mapped one course myself. It is pretty good most of the time. There seems to be some lag with the gps info sometimes. But that may be the case with any of these apps.
    I hadn't used any rangefinders in the past, and I frankly don't use it much. I just don't hit or control the ball consistently enough to worry about a few yards difference.
    What I really need is a two-putt app.
  22. ScottyPro

ScottyPro Well-Known Member

SKYDROID :)

First app I ever bought and its definitely worth the money, Paul is also very responsive with your Emails also.

I mapped my own course just for the fun of it:rolleyes:
  23. Lancedroid

Lancedroid Active Member

Skydroid. Enough said.
  24. glfr

glfr Member

Try Golf Pad . It has rangefinder, 4-player scorecard, stats and shot tracker, all for free.
  25. frankhugh

frankhugh New Member

I think Calton Hill Golf GPS is the best. Nice simple display of the hole you're playing. High quality course maps and they're quick to create a new one if it's not already mapped.