• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good alternative to Galaxy?

Hi,
I wanted to get some opinion from Dell Streak owners.
My wif and I have an AT&T familiy plan.
Unfortunately our 2 year contracts are one year offset.
So we now need to make it till November 2012 without a new phone.

She currently does not have a smartphone and so I was thinking of giving her my Samsung Captivate (Galaxy I) and getting myself a used Dell Streak.

My question though, is the Streak with 2.3.5 about the same speed as the Galaxy I?

Or are there any other used phones with a big display that would be a good replacement for a Galaxy I (for one year)?

I can't say about speed, you can check the specifications to compare chip speed. Personally, the Streak when released with 1.6 was really slow, poor battery, etc. Once it was upgraded to 2.1 it was like a new device. I have not had any speed related issues, it has been really nice with the NetFlix app probably being the most demanding for my use. A movie will stall on 3G, but on Wifi is great.

I am in a similar position as you, I have until 12/12 until my contract is up, but I left my Streak sitting on top of my car last week and drove off. I found the pieces 5 miles down the road, but other than getting the SIM, data card and cover it was toast.

I was looking at used devices, etc and ending up buying a new device on eBay for $269.

I really am thinking about moving up to the Samsung Note (5.3") when it comes out, but that may be months from now and I needed something.

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones