• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good Car CD player for Android phones?

gravyong

May 12, 2010
I have the Samsung Galaxy and am looking to purchase a CD player for my car that is capable of playing music from the phone. I'm not an electronics buff at all so I have no idea what to look for. What I'd like is possibly a cable hookup (3.5mm?) that plugs into the phone and I'll be able to select a song to play from the music menu. Can spend up to $300 on this so any suggestions would be great.

And you can find them for cheap. You just have to remember you get what you pay for. The cd player has gone out in my daily car, and I've been looking for new ones. WalMart carries a Dual brand cd player with input jack and USB. Like mentioned above, either will work. But, the USB jack is nice because it can then be used to play your audio media and charge your phone.

Upvote 0
You should be able to get a Bluetooth capable cd player for that kind of money, then you can pair up to that and "stream" music to it, unless you actually prefer to use a cable? Kenwood has a few diff models IIRC..
I'd look around a bit before purchasing one. My buddys in dash dvd player has an aux mic for handsfree driving, it's pretty sweet actually. If my current player ever dies, I'm going to take a long hard look at that..

Upvote 0
Now I use my phone via 3.5mm aux jack and it sounds just as good as using the phone as a storage device. This way i can play my downloaded music and use Pandora

Good point, that's a disadvantage of USB. It only allows you to play back music files that are supported by the CD player (usually only MP3, WAV, AAC). You also can't listen to internet radio/streaming services.

However, the advantage of USB is that the sound is processed by your CD player, which often produces better sound quality than the phone's sound card. It's hardly noticeable if you don't have a high-end speaker setup though.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Another option is an FM transmitter. You connect your phone to the FM transmitter via bluetooth and it then retransmittes the signal to regular FM. You then just tune your radio into whatever FM channel it tells you. That costs $25-$75 depending on what model/manufacturer you go with. Also usually will function as a hands-free device & charging station.

Upvote 0
Another option is an FM transmitter. You connect your phone to the FM transmitter via bluetooth and it then retransmittes the signal to regular FM. You then just tune your radio into whatever FM channel it tells you. That costs $25-$75 depending on what model/manufacturer you go with. Also usually will function as a hands-free device & charging station.

I'd recommend against the FM transmitter. The quality is crap. There's usually a lot of static and if you live in an area that's heavily populated a clean frequency can be extremely hard to find.

Upvote 0
I'd recommend against the FM transmitter. The quality is crap. There's usually a lot of static and if you live in an area that's heavily populated a clean frequency can be extremely hard to find.

+1

To be fair, I only tried out a $10 one, but the audio quality was terrible. More expensive models probably sound better, but I'm not sure if it's worth trying since a solid CD player can be found for $100-150 now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones