• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
K-9 Mail was/is a decent POP3 client...was generally accepted as the go to app for the problematic stock Android POP3 client. I used it when I had the Droid 1 for the first month that it was out (gave up the Droid and VZ). Its much more robust than the default client that came with the D1. The stock Motoblur POP3 client on my Moto Defy, allows you to chose whether to delete messages from server, when deleted from phone.

Upvote 0
I cant seem to find the setting on my Pro and K-9 doesnt work with Hotmail. Any other ideas?

add corporate account using following settings:

URL - m.hotmail.com
Username - Enter full name with domain info, e.g. john@hotmail.com
Domain - Leave blank
SSL - Enabled
Certificate - Accept the SSL certificate when prompted
Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks - All can be enabled.

Upvote 0
So if you are like me, you have been waiting to get your hotmail and yahoo emails working just as fast as your Gmail. Also, wanting the capability to delete mail from your Hotmail or yahoo accounts. Well, wait not longer...I've had this phone for 3 months and that has been my only major issue (as I had a BB before with lightening fast email and the battery lasted longer). By following the instructions below that I just created, you can have your emails arriving in your box in less than 45 seconds. With the help of the above thread and trying a few things, I finally figured it out. So let me make it very clear for the everyone so you can enjoy the same feature:

(1) Select the "Messaging" Icon on the main droid screen

(2) Select the Menu tab at the far left bottom, then select "Manage Accounts"

(3) Now select "Add Account" on screen button

(4) Now select "Corporate Sync", the middle top blue arrowed icon

(5) Now Enter email account settings:

Email address: youremail@hotmail.com (use the full domain info as shown)
Password: emailpassword
Domain - Leave blank
Username: - youremail@hotmail.com (use the full domain info as shown)

(6) Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select "Next" button. Then it will try to search for the related email server but will not find one then ask you to "Please enter the server name manually".

(7) Enter the IMAP Server name where you see "Server:" . For hotmail, the server is "m.hotmail.com"

(8) Select the check box for "Use secure connection"

(9) Finally, select the "Next" Button. It will connect and setup your email.

(10) Once finished, it will say "Success!" and display 3 icons at the top saying that Messaging + Calender + Contacts are all sync'd and setup. Select "Done" button and it will return you the the "Add Account" Screen.

(11) Lastly, I would open the new account by Selecting it and the selecting "open Account" and modify the sync to only sync the Email as it will integrate all your calendars and Contacts into your Google Calendar and Contact. You may want to keep those private in your online accounts as I do - if not leave everything select.

(12) Now just change the "Account Name" so you know which email it is and you are not setup! Remember if you delete a message here - IT DELETES from the server permanently. So be careful.

Hope this helps someone as it took me forever searching the web and trying different things to get this to work! BTW - be sure to turn on the PUSH feature under "email delivery" under your "message settings" . If you do not, it will on update every 15mins.

Good Luck...I will post this on the Motorola Owners Forum too.

Upvote 0
I've been using ProfiMail on a E71 under Symbian and been very happy with it. I've noticed they also have an Android version, so I'll might get that one as well. I'll try first the free apps ( K9 or whatever ) and compare with ProfiMail on Symbian and report back, but if you have certain must-have features you want, better check their website and see if they are implemented.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones