• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Good for Enterprise

I found a 'solution.'

I am successfully running Good for Enterprise on Cyanogenmod 6.1, but it took some work. I used adb shell to rename su and Superuser.apk on the phone, then rebooted. After the reboot, I don't have root anymore. In an emergency I can rename them the superuser files back using rageagainsthecage but I probably won't do it often.

This is a compromise, but at least I don't have to give up that CM6 goodness just to use my corporate email.

So far I have not seen any issues in CM6 resulting from not having root.

Have you had any issues with losing sync after a while? This morning my good app stopped syncing and I had to uninstall, reprovision, and reinstall the app.

I also get a message during install that says I don't have the right kind of wireless account, but I know I have an enterprise account.

Could this be remnants of having been rooted? Maybe from CM6.1?

Have had to remove and reinstall Good a few times now. It just wont reliably work with my device. Right now, it's CM 6.1 and unrooted by renaming su and Superuser.apk (not deleting).

Good is now completely non functional. I'm wondering if either:
1) Good looks for other factors besides if the phone is rooted (perhaps as a result of having a non standard ROM).
2) renaming rather than deleting the su and Superuser.apk files is the problem.

Any thoughts?

tried re-rooting and then removing the files as recommended above... good still doesn't work- won't even launch after entering in the password.

Upvote 0
I have only had syncing stop once, and a reinstall worked. I haven't had an issue since. I don't think it's related to the root, but it's hard to say that for sure.

As far as the right type of wireless account, I know for sure that's not related. In the US both Verizon and ATT have "Good Messaging Data Plans" and you will be hounded until you get one. They are the same price as the unlimited data plans IIRC. I had that issue on back in my Windows Mobile days.

Upvote 0
There are lots of reasons. Exchange ActiveSync does not provide the necessary security that most enterprises require. Even worse, the Droid X has horrible implementation of Exchange, without support for encryption and intermittent connectivity issues. Finally, Good allows system administrators to block devices if certain applications are found and has custom root detection, which is more than you can say for ActiveSync. Its architecture is also very similar to the proven BES infrastructure.

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem as everyone else. rooted using one click superuser and removed bloatware and changed the tether file so I could get AP mobile fo' free son! Days later Good says "root detected....account disabled."

My IT dept is cool and said and confirmed that once the root is gone a new reinstall with a new pin will work.

I have done all of the following:
return tether
removed and all root related programs
done a super one click unroot
done a odin 3 materclear (successfully)
done a factory restore by dial in the *2767*3855

despit everything it still detects a root. I also noted it seems like busybox and other leave little bits eve once uninstalled the regular way or with system unistaller.

1) I need to truley wipe this thing or format and load android 2.2 or something

2) blast the phone with my 12 guage and charge people a $1 to see the video to make up for the insurance deductible

I have win xp, sami captivate, froyo 2.2 and the following apps were installed

titanium backup
busybox
superuser
sqlite
root explorer
system app remover

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
On a related note, has anyone had luck backing up Good for Enterprise when updating or reinstalling a ROM? I've tried this with TiBu, but of course the restored files no longer keep the sync with the Good Server. I'm sure there's something it's checking (system ID, or serial, or something) that needs to be backed up as well, but no clue what that might be.

Upvote 0
My guess is that maybe Good check to see if the Product Code matches. Or it is finding the left over busybox files. My work has reintroduced the security policy and now i get Rooted device detected. May be uninstall busy box though manage apps then via adb remove SU superuser etc. Someone must know what good checks, although sharing it probably defeats the purpose of allowing them to disallow the use of a rooted phone?

Upvote 0
On a related note, has anyone had luck backing up Good for Enterprise when updating or reinstalling a ROM? I've tried this with TiBu, but of course the restored files no longer keep the sync with the Good Server. I'm sure there's something it's checking (system ID, or serial, or something) that needs to be backed up as well, but no clue what that might be.

Since these GB leaks started coming out, the only app that has given me headaches is restoring Good, but I finally found that putting Good in "offline" mode prior to backing up with TiBu eliminates the need to reactivate after flashing. I can simply restore then "connect" and it will pick-up right where I left off. Oh, if you try to restore an old back-up you will end up out of sync and will have to wipe data and reactivate Good.

Upvote 0
My guess is that maybe Good check to see if the Product Code matches. Or it is finding the left over busybox files. My work has reintroduced the security policy and now i get Rooted device detected. May be uninstall busy box though manage apps then via adb remove SU superuser etc. Someone must know what good checks, although sharing it probably defeats the purpose of allowing them to disallow the use of a rooted phone?

i decompiled the APK they use as i too got a denied due to running root.

in com/good/common/util/PhoneUtil
theres a routine checkIfDeviceIsRooted(Landroid/content/Context;)

it does 2 checks:
1. android/content/pm/PackageManager;->getInstalledApplications()
and looks for an entry that contains "superuser.apk" (case ignored)
if so the routine returns true.

2. attempts to run the command "su -c ls"
if it can run this, then it also returns true.

rename /data/app/Superuser.apk to something else (Superuser-app.apk or something) and reboot..this should work (ensure that in superuser, you dont auto-allow apps to have root, and deny access to good when it asks).

Upvote 0
i decompiled the APK they use as i too got a denied due to running root.

in com/good/common/util/PhoneUtil
theres a routine checkIfDeviceIsRooted(Landroid/content/Context;)

it does 2 checks:
1. android/content/pm/PackageManager;->getInstalledApplications()
and looks for an entry that contains "superuser.apk" (case ignored)
if so the routine returns true.

2. attempts to run the command "su -c ls"
if it can run this, then it also returns true.

rename /data/app/Superuser.apk to something else (Superuser-app.apk or something) and reboot..this should work (ensure that in superuser, you dont auto-allow apps to have root, and deny access to good when it asks).
Thanks for the info. I have been experiencing the same issues with GOOD.
I just rooted my phone last night, so I am pretty new to this. But wouldn't changing the Superuser file name cause problems elsewhere?

Upvote 0
My phone is rooted. I was able to install Good with no problem, and it worked until I had them change my employer for the discount.
They want to force me to pay the extra $15 for the corporate plan but my company is in negotiations with Verizon to allow us to use the app under our current unlimited plan.
Funny, because I have given up and will be unrooting my phone tonight, so I called IT to get a new PIN. A few minutes later, he said I wasn't on the Good Mobile Messaging plan, or whatever it is called. I had been on the $69.99 unlimited data plan, and had no problems. Won't give me a PIN until I get that changed.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. I have been experiencing the same issues with GOOD.
I just rooted my phone last night, so I am pretty new to this. But wouldn't changing the Superuser file name cause problems elsewhere?

sorry for not replying earlier, i wasn't monitoring the thread :)
no it wont cause problems, the apk name itself isn't important (i've had mine renamed for months and havent had a single problem). just remember to rename it whenever you flash a new rom/upgrade your rom.

Upvote 0
I was able to remove SU from the folder /system/xbin and Superuser.apk from /system/app . I was then able to use Good without any problem for several months. I am trying to re root my phone so I can update the ROM and I am having problems. The S is still off.

I tried the rage method and the terminal will not re launch after typing /data/local/rage . I get the xxx child and then i close the terminal , relauch and it force closes, re lauch again and nothing.

I also tried the visinonary method and the app doesnt work.

Any advice to switching back and forward?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones