• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good idea to cancel my internet connection and just tether with evo?

Only if you just occasionally browse the web on your laptop at home. It's doable, but the device isn't geared toward being a full time router and it would mean your connection leaves home with you. It means you would need all computers to be on Wifi which isn't good for gaming or even sometimes streaming computers. Most of all, it's kind of overkill. You can get Wimax service at home for something like $25-35/month and use a dedicated Wimax router optimized for reception and constant uptime whereas the Evo is designed to be a phone capable of accessing a Wimax network when you are out and about.

Still, your call :)

Upvote 0
I have time warner right now and pay 55 a month. I have 4g coverage in my area and I think this would be the only way I can afford this phone. Is tethering reliable enough to be my only internet source?

i wouldnt dude. i know that if any carrier notices high data they can limit you on data and your evo will be slow. also if ur constantly tethering with it your going to kill your battery fast. if you keep it plugged in you risk the chance of constantly putting too much heat to the phone.

imo tethering is nice when you need internet while on the go, but its no substitute for your home internet service.

Upvote 0
My time warner would crush even the best 4G could offer, so I'd never consider it :D

:D

Dude, your upload SUCKS!

e48b72af6e964fb8077cf79ba2d18ffc.gif

Upvote 0
But even downloading songs would take quite a while.

Not so sure about that. I used to go nuts for the fastest ISP available but honestly, I switched to home Wimax for service just because it was so cheap and even with just my usual 5-6Mb/sec downloads I have no problem downloading songs. 500MB tv episodes still only take like 20 minutes and downloading albums from Amazon takes like 4 minutes. I used to go nuts with torrenting and stuff back in my younger days but now that I basically just need to be able to stream video and download the occasional album or TV episode, I'm going for cheap. I will probably stick with this for the time being and then maybe get fiber if Google picks our city for their project or the city puts out a less expensive alternative to Fios. Obviously YMMV but long story short, 5MB/sec is perfectly fine for average downloading.

I just don't think turning a $500 smartphone into an always-on router is the best way to do it if you are trying to save a buck.

Upvote 0
Even with dedicated 4g services, they aren't going to be as reliable as a wired connection (DSL, Cable, Fiber, etc). I looked at setting my wife's office up with Clear 4g as it was a higher speed than her DSL provider could handle. However, I read cases where people had 4g outages for days sometimes as well as other issues which made me drop that idea.

Upvote 0
I think people are kidding themselves if they think they're going to use the hotspot as their primary internet service... the only exception is maybe a college student staying in the dorms. This is why I think the $30 charge for it is absurd and sprint is just being greedy. I would have considered adding it if it was only $10.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones