Good news for G2 owners regarding 2.1...

Last Updated:

1. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. curlymanoliver

curlymanoliver Member

yeah but april... =/

3. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

ARRIL ! t-mobiel are the worse for firmware updates

4. alchemistkevin

alchemistkevin Well-Known Member

well at least they've confirmed they'll be rolling it out :)

5. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well the official work is Early Q2, last time I checked Q2 began in April so...

Why are people taking this as bad news? Surely this is confirmation we will get it when everyone else does?

6. antipesto93

i thought lots of other sources said it would be coming march
    and tmobile is allwayss late with firmware :()

7. alchemistkevin

alchemistkevin Well-Known Member

what other operators have confirmed a firmware release for their phones that people r slating t-mob for an april release?

8. larsselleth

larsselleth New Member

Ok, I am new to this. I got my Hero in December. I'm only just getting into the nitty gritty.

My Hero is the UK T-mobile G2. There update is due April (apparently...)
    My question is, is there any advantage to flashing to HTC Heros standard software or even getting rid of Sense UI and going straight for Eclair?

From what I have read I have to wait for Android to release the update, then wait for HTC to update the Sense and then wait for T-mobile to update Sense.

I do not want to be third in line for an update, I want them as they come out. If I do not like it I will flash back.

If im wrong apologies....
    :eek:)
    Lee

9. rustynuts

rustynuts Well-Known Member

Well had my G2 for 4 months now and am more than happy with it, seems a while ago now since we first starting hearing about this update and I'm looking forward to seeing it in April and enjoying what 2.1 brings me, I never thought about updated roms etc when I bought the phone so these are exciting times, roll on April : ) and cheers to all peeps working hard to roll it out to us.

10. vjprakashbe

vjprakashbe Well-Known Member

If you want to try something then you can start from here: XDADeveloperWiki - GSM Hero ROMs

11. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

12. vjprakashbe

vjprakashbe Well-Known Member

"EXpansys has spilled details of UK release date and UK pricing of all three phones, with the HTC Desire the most expensive handset at

13. antipesto93

wow thats expensive, i would never pay over 200(hero) for a phone :(

14. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

15. mattdanielc

mattdanielc Well-Known Member

I'm not with tmobile... im with orange (im guessing I am on the old one as well then? But my question is... if it does update on orange as well - does this happen automatically or do I need to keep my eye out for something?

Thanks for the help :)

16. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Not really. With a release date announced for the new 2.1 handsets, it's likely that the hero will receive its update shortly afterwards. This gives everyone an idea of when that might happen.

17. antipesto93

The latest orange rom's are posted on the htc's website here
    HTC - Support - HTC Hero - Software Download
    when 2.1 is released it should show up there, you will know when it is released because it will be all over the forum - and orange should give a specific release date soon

the different is with t-mobile is that their rom updates are not done on the htc website

18. mattdanielc

Really appreciate the help mate. I'm showing my newbie status here though... what is a rom for phones?

I bought my phone late December.. so I'm guessing I need to download the latest one on that link (14th Feb). Do I download it to the PC, or connect to that link via my phone?

19. antipesto93

A rom is like the software / firmware that the phone runs on, like windows vista for a computer

yeah in the latest rom since December dosent have many important updates, probably just a few minor bug fixes

to up date it, go to the htc website (link above ) enter the phone serial number, and it will download a file,
    you then plug you phone in, run the file, and the application will do the rest for you

by the way it willreset everything to factory settings so you will loose all your apps and settings, but things on the sd card are not erased
    but you can just install the apps again from the my downloads page in the market bacuase the apps are synced with your gmaila ccount

mattdanielc likes this.
  20. mattdanielc

Many thanks for the help again! Do I need to install the phone software that came with the phone before I can plug my phone into the PC?
    Does that mean I will lose all my saved games on my games etc - all my high scores etc - even if the game is installed on my SC card?

Thanks again

21. antipesto93

umm i dont think you need the phone software, just download the rom, run the file on your pc and it will automatically update the phone

You will not loose high scores and save games, if the app uses the sd card for savegame files, so for example robodefence creates a folder on your sd card, where your levels are kept.
    but for the majority of games you will loose your saved games.
    so you might just want to stick to your current rom, untill the big 2.1 update is released in april/march, then that big update will be worth it,

22. rizzla

rizzla Well-Known Member

What will probably happen is that HTC will release 2.1 on their website and ask you to enter your serial number. This is where the problem starts because unless its one of the phones not locked to a carrier, the website will refuse your number and you'd be expected to wait until your carrier releases their version of it, which could be from days to weeks.

The 2.1 that will be released on HTC's website will still work fine on your hero, just wont have carrier specific stuff on it.

Anyway, by the time your carrier releases it there will already be a custom rom available of it with a few improvements added no doubt.