• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good news for G2 owners regarding 2.1...

Ok, I am new to this. I got my Hero in December. I'm only just getting into the nitty gritty.

My Hero is the UK T-mobile G2. There update is due April (apparently...)
My question is, is there any advantage to flashing to HTC Heros standard software or even getting rid of Sense UI and going straight for Eclair?

From what I have read I have to wait for Android to release the update, then wait for HTC to update the Sense and then wait for T-mobile to update Sense.

I do not want to be third in line for an update, I want them as they come out. If I do not like it I will flash back.

If im wrong apologies....
:eek:)
Lee

Upvote 0
Well had my G2 for 4 months now and am more than happy with it, seems a while ago now since we first starting hearing about this update and I'm looking forward to seeing it in April and enjoying what 2.1 brings me, I never thought about updated roms etc when I bought the phone so these are exciting times, roll on April : ) and cheers to all peeps working hard to roll it out to us.

Upvote 0
Ok, I am new to this. I got my Hero in December. I'm only just getting into the nitty gritty.

My Hero is the UK T-mobile G2. There update is due April (apparently...)
My question is, is there any advantage to flashing to HTC Heros standard software or even getting rid of Sense UI and going straight for Eclair?

From what I have read I have to wait for Android to release the update, then wait for HTC to update the Sense and then wait for T-mobile to update Sense.

I do not want to be third in line for an update, I want them as they come out. If I do not like it I will flash back.

If im wrong apologies....
:eek:)
Lee

If you want to try something then you can start from here: XDADeveloperWiki - GSM Hero ROMs

Upvote 0
The latest orange rom's are posted on the htc's website here
HTC - Support - HTC Hero - Software Download
when 2.1 is released it should show up there, you will know when it is released because it will be all over the forum - and orange should give a specific release date soon

the different is with t-mobile is that their rom updates are not done on the htc website
Really appreciate the help mate. I'm showing my newbie status here though... what is a rom for phones?

I bought my phone late December.. so I'm guessing I need to download the latest one on that link (14th Feb). Do I download it to the PC, or connect to that link via my phone?

Upvote 0
to up date it, go to the htc website (link above ) enter the phone serial number, and it will download a file,
you then plug you phone in, run the file, and the application will do the rest for you
Many thanks for the help again! Do I need to install the phone software that came with the phone before I can plug my phone into the PC?
by the way it willreset everything to factory settings so you will loose all your apps and settings, but things on the sd card are not erased
but you can just install the apps again from the my downloads page in the market bacuase the apps are synced with your gmaila ccount
Does that mean I will lose all my saved games on my games etc - all my high scores etc - even if the game is installed on my SC card?

Thanks again

Upvote 0
What will probably happen is that HTC will release 2.1 on their website and ask you to enter your serial number. This is where the problem starts because unless its one of the phones not locked to a carrier, the website will refuse your number and you'd be expected to wait until your carrier releases their version of it, which could be from days to weeks.

The 2.1 that will be released on HTC's website will still work fine on your hero, just wont have carrier specific stuff on it.

Anyway, by the time your carrier releases it there will already be a custom rom available of it with a few improvements added no doubt.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones