• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good News with "Froyo"

jfritzs2

Android Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2009
So "Froyo," Frozen Yogurt, its the latest in development from Google and Android. This will be great for all you Mytouch owners that are just dying for 2.1 on their phone! But also great for those that don't care about 2.1, but do care about small bug fixes within an Android firmware.

Basically instead of having to develop a whole new OS and then giving it to carriers and phone manufactures to release to their clients, Froyo will be a market based update system. It'll allow Google to create certain fixes and improvements to past OS firmwares then release those updates by way of Android Market. Its genius! No more being left in the dark about the newest operating system and having trouble with old firmwares.

I'm sure it won't be a complete remedy to getting 2.1 or the next OS on the Mytouch any faster, but it will be a great way of letting customers know that Google does care and want the best experience for us from Android. This system is how Google Maps is currently working. There will be big developments like Google Navigation implemented into Maps 4.0, and smaller improvements like Buzz with 4.1, etc. However this will not only apply to application updates, but also system components.

I believe it is a great idea, and I'm extremely excited about it. No operating system is perfect when released. Windows isn't the only operating system with service packs, Apple has updates to their computers as well as updates on iPod Touchs and iPhones, and now luckily so does Android. It'll definitely help out with moving the project along. Very exciting!

Here are some links talking about it -

NeoWin.net

Engadget

However, of course, Google hasn't officially made any statement about Froyo, to my knowledge, so some, much, or all of this could just be speculation. But I believe that Google does recognize this situation and wants to remedy it, so I doubt their intentions would be far off, hopefully not, because this will be a great improvement!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones