• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Good remote wipe apps?

So seeing as how the Incredible has so much of my personal info, I was looking for a remote wipe app just incase I do happen to lose my phone (knock on wood) and want to clear my phone so no one takes advantage of it. I've been seeing some good reviews for Wavesecure. Anyone else have any other app to recommend? Or maybe their own experience with Wavesecure?

Buy the insurance right now and then report it after. You have 30 days - it's a rule not fraud.

He's looking for an app to securely wipe his phone remotely of personal information.. insurance wouldn't help with that.

I've never been too concerned with my previous phones but you're right, there is a lot of personal information on this phone; easy access to e-mail, facebook and twitter (if you use them), as well as possible addresses in your maps history.

Basically he's looking for the same kind of app used to remotely wipe the lost/stolen 4th gen iPhone recently.

I remember seeing an app on the market that would do something like this, but it needed root access. (so the person who found the phone couldn't just disable/uninstall the app)

Upvote 0
WaveSecure does have the nuke option.

I never tried it before my Droid was stolen, but believe me I wish I had it.

Also try Lookout. I have the beta on my Blackberry. Will help with lost or stolen phones via gps (a la Where's my Phone) but also will backup any pictures.

There's an article on Gizmodo, I think, where a phone thief was apprehended because he took photos of himself and the photos auto-backedup (sp? lol) to the owner's account. Woot!

I lost my phone because I installed a new rom on my droid that day and forgot to install Lookout....DOH!

Upvote 0
I came across your post while searching the forums for info/opinions on WaveSecure. Can you provide links to reviews you have seen already? TIA
I apologize as I didn't save any of the links. I just did a quick google search. From what I remember, there were actually a few personal reviews on this forum, and a few more on other sites.

And yes, to the person that suggested insurance, that will not do anything. I'm looking for an app that will clear out my phone if I were to ever lose it (remote wipe). I don't want to misplace my phone in a public place and have someone pick it up and have a field day with it. I don't use the pattern unlock as I can't stand having to swipe-to-unlock, THEN doing a pattern unlock in addition to it.

Upvote 0
Well, I downloaded WaveSecure to try it out. I'm somewhat impressed with it. It did lock my phone for me. I'm reluctant to try the wipe function as I do not want to lose everything on the phone, but I have no reason to think it wouldn't work. The location feature was not too impressive. I have the phone sitting right next to me. It put the location of the phone about 2-3 miles away from me. I don't have GPS turned on on my phone right now though.

I'm skeptical about it because I can bypass the lock screen pretty easily. I was able to bypass WaveDefense pretty easilly though and I fired up a task killer and killed it. This destroyed any usefulness to me for the app. After it was killed, I couldn't track my phone or do anything with the app. I may have to try out some other apps though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones