1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

good tip calculator recommendation

Last Updated:

1. halfmonkey

halfmonkey Active Member This Topic's Starter

Does anybody have any good tip calculator application recommendations? I've been viewing the app postings and people seem to be talking about everything except this one group of applications. Any help would appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Trel

Trel Well-Known Member

3. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

I find you should learn how to move a decimal over and multiply by two...

zapjb likes this.
  4. melvin

melvin New Member

I like Tip-It by ENVY Software. Its got some neat features and works very well. Plus it seems like they pay attention to the comments and try to deliver what some of us have asked for.

5. mkdauff

mkdauff Well-Known Member

Hahahaha...glad someone got to this. People who don't know how to tip amaze me. Oh, and 15% is what you give someone who gives you shitty service. 20% is the standard, which is why you do the above (plus, it's just easier math).

zapjb likes this.
  6. gonzoguy24

mk...hahahahaah...glad you got a laugh...I agree...whoever pays for a "tip calculator" needs to be slapped. If you cannot do this simple math in your head just use the calculator already on the phone.

7. melvin

melvin New Member

I am sure most people know how to do the math but sometimes would prefer not to or just find it a novelty to use a gadget to do it. Most of these Tip Calculators are free so there is no reason not to download it.

If you don't want/need it, then don't download it. You're not helping the forums here by ignoring his question and explaining elementary math.

8. ari-free

ari-free Well-Known Member

9. bonoriffic

bonoriffic New Member

Tip calculators are useful when you have to split the check. 20% certainly isn't any sort of standard, at Disney World they print on every menu that 18% is the "standard" for quality service.

When splitting you also usually are dealing with cash, and large bills at that. A good tip calculator will save you from dealing with "simple math" that usually involves rounding. At least now I know what the true tip percentage is instead of guessing after determining the mathematical correct number that of course nobody can pay.

Complaining about tip calculators seems about as useless an activity as you can find on the internet. And I've played forum wars.

10. gonzoguy24

I'm just saying that tip calcs are pointless. A waste of time

11. halfmonkey

halfmonkey Active Member This Topic's Starter

you're entitled to your opinion no matter how pointless your opinion really is. Like a previous poster said, it's more the novelty of the app and isn't that part of why we all have these smart phones...because somebody somewhere made some cool apps. now, i'm not saying that i would actually pay for a tip calculator app or that i actually need one but it's a cool stupid thing to mess with. enjoy your tip calculator-less phone.

to all of the others, thanks for the recommendations.

12. gonzoguy24

My opinion is no less pointless than your tip calculator.

13. gonzoguy24

And I am sorry if i came off as a jacka$$...I am just trying to help you out. There is nothing "cool" about being on a date or a business lunch and requiring your phone to figure out the tip. Also in my opinion it is slightly rude to have your phone out at all. Again sorry if I ruffled some feathers...please forgive me.

14. mrinman66

mrinman66 New Member

Tipper is a great one. Yes, I don't need one since I can easily double the tax, or I can take 10 percent times two, etc.
    But, it is useful when I go out to lunch with a bunch of people (at least once a week,) and it will figure everything out including splitting the check.

15. Spartan

Spartan New Member

Does anyone know of a free tip calculator other than Nerdy Tip Calculator. I don't like it because it is INTRUSIVE. The program connects to the internet and accesses your GPS location. Why? This is not something other calculators do, and there is no need for it.

If what I ordered is $15. I want to easily calculate the tax and tip on that.
    my meal = $15
    %8.5 tax = $1.28
    %15 tip = $2.44
    total = $18.72

Why is it so hard to find a good free tip calculator that does this?

16. crabman

crabman Well-Known Member

You give someone a tip in appreciation of good service, bad service should not be tipped at all. Us older folk can recall when 10% was a lavish tip and rail at the constantly rising tip percentage. And no, if you think the rising percentage has to do with the cost of living you are mistaken, the price of the meal has gone up right along with the cost of living making the tip amount go up with it.

17. drowe

drowe Well-Known Member

The other problem is that "basic arithmetic" seems to be beyond the ability of kids these days. When your billl is $18.03 and you hand a cashier a $20.00 bill and she punches it in before you can had her the 3 pennies, it requires a manager to figure out how much change you should get!

Yes, I'm old. We weren't allowed to use a calculator until advanced algebra in high school.

David

18. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the same reason that it is so hard to find an app that wipes your ass for you: It is just so simple that children can do it themselves, so there is no real point in making an app for it.

19. crabman

crabman Well-Known Member

Yeah, being able to count change should be required training for cashiers. Young people wont even know what I mean by that.

20. Duder

Duder New Member

Tip calculators can be extremely useful in cases of severe inebriation, I remember paying up on my nights tab at a bar (ouch) and it taking a few minutes to find the application, yet alone doing simple math(no I was not driving).

So tip calculators can be extremely helpful if your service involved intoxicating beverages.

21. doniago

doniago Well-Known Member

BillSplitter. I haven't used it often but it includes options for figuring out how much different people owe instead of just a basic "this is how much the entire group owes".

22. BlueBrolly

BlueBrolly Member

Hey, I actually just finish developing mine. I put it on the market now. My app is based off your experience in the restaurant. It ranges from 10%-30%. Its called TipSense. If a waitress/waiter gets a tip, it really should be based off there skills and personality rather than a flat amount. Check it out its called TipSense

23. BlueBrolly

BlueBrolly Member

If you want a free App, I can develop one real quick that just does what you ask, let me know. My limitations are android 2.2+ and requires Adobe Air. (develop in Flash CS5)

24. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

I use Tip Calc and that seems to do the job.

One tip that I have when trying to pick amongst many apps that do the same thing, is I generally will pick the app with the name that I'll be able to find later.

When you have 150 apps and trying to find an app you don't use much, but you need, it makes it much easier.

I'd never remember to look for my tip calculator under N (for nerdy tip calculator), but I'll find it no problem if it's called Tip Calc.

Name definitely influences my app choice at times.

25. jpovis

jpovis Well-Known Member

hehehe...I was thinking the same thing