• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Good to be back!...And don't use Best Buy's Black Tie Insurance!

frenchy714

Android Expert
Nov 11, 2010
East Tawas, MI
Well, 3 weeks and 2 days ago....someone stole my Evo (I didn't know about Plan B at the time and when I finally found out about it (thanks Akazabam), it was too late to track my Evo) :mad:! I couldn't get a replacement because I was insured by Best Buy (Black Tie Coverage), which DOES NOT INCLUDE LOST OR STOLEN PHONES :(! That was a pretty big pill to swallow and bottom line was, I had to come out of pocket to purchase another one :thinking:. Well, yesterday I finally made that purchase and bought a brand new one :), and all is well :D. Not even 5 min. after I arrived home, I rooted my Evo....not one issue. Then I downgraded my radio's to 3.29 and flashed Virus's Infection ROM, it's sick btw! 2 things, I really missed my Evo, and I really missed this forum....I'm back now and look forward to interacting with the old rooters and helping out the new ones! Oh yeah and DON'T USE BEST BUY'S BLACK TIE INSURANCE, IT SUCKS!!!!!

that sucks! Glad you got a replacement but it sucks you had to pay for it. Sprint insurance ftw! if you haven't already add it now!

for the record...black tie has done me plenty good on other items (hundresds in laptop/other repairs and a few replacements as well) so it isn't all bad ...just not the best option for phones imo

Upvote 0
that sucks! Glad you got a replacement but it sucks you had to pay for it. Sprint insurance ftw! if you haven't already add it now!

for the record...black tie has done me plenty good on other items (hundresds in laptop/other repairs and a few replacements as well) so it isn't all bad ...just not the best option for phones imo

I definitely agree with you on that. As far as repairs are concerned, they're the sh*t. No deductibles and they also replaced my Evo for free when my son spilled juice on it, BUT, it just sucks that they don't replace lost or stolen phones, and with us having Evo's, which are the Bentley's of cell phones, people stealing them is a REAL possibility.

Upvote 0

And I definitely have different insurance now :p.

Upvote 0
Glad to see that your back and with a new phone! I learned the hard the way about black tie protection. I had my hero stolen and I also had to buy a new phone as well. So when the evo came out, I made sure to buy sprints insurance that sane day. Well guess we all live and learn.

But black tie protection did save my life on my laptop a few times though

Upvote 0
Welcome back Frenchy! I was wondering why I didn't see you around as much... Very 'spensive endeavor indeed!
I loaded lookout onto mine and I can say the gps tracker does work. If you buy the full version you get remote lockout and remote wipe. Did you call Sprint and get them to ban the ESN?

Thanks and YES, I did call Sprint and have them blacklist the ESN.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones