Goodbye Incredible (you can blame Verizon for it)General

Last Updated:

1. c_aus

c_aus Disabled This Topic's Starter

Dear HTC Incredible

You are an awesome phone and have been a joy to use. However, considering that VZW has felt the need to give misleading information to somebody who is not yet a customer. You see, my hope was to use you as a tethering device as well, which I had been told is an extra $15 on top of the $29.99 data plan, which was a big reason I changed carriers to get you. However, when I call Customer Care, they give me a price of $25. Even further, when I call the sales number they quote $30 and get combative when I question the amount.

Since your service provider is not willing to honor it's own prices, I will be going to T-Mobile and re-establishing my service with them. While their 3G coverage may not be as expansive, their customer service is miles ahead.

Oh, and please see the attached screen captures of the conversations with the online sales chat representatives for additional detail.

Sincerely,
    Chris

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. mbarn

mbarn Well-Known Member

Calm yourself dude. When the phone is successfully rooted you will be able to tether it for free. Don't get your panties in a bunch. The Incredible is an amazing phone and you will regret getting rid of it.

3. Quintessence

Quintessence Well-Known Member

Its a shame, but until this day, none of my friends that worked at Verizon even knew of an official price for the mobile broadband. It was just announced today as far as I know, but it was kept a secret to the employees.

They were just speculating as they would with the price of the phone.

4. Bowen9284

Bowen9284 Well-Known Member

you can do it for free now with pdanet...eaaaaaaaaaasy

jetsfan2010, zanza, itsTee and 3 others like this.
  5. Gh0stShinobi

Gh0stShinobi Active Member

That's correct, and it does not require rooting. Not only PDAnet, but, tether, formally known as tetherberry, is in the testing stage for tethering for android devices. I would prefer the one time fee of the 24.99 or whatever, for the app for the phone, and have unlimited tether on the data plan, than to pay even 15 dollars a month to use Verizon's plan...if it were even 15. Of course, I believe it's closer to 30, maybe more.

itsTee and kraftykarin like this.
  6. c_aus

So you're confident that PDAnet, and others, are not going to incur overage charges for data? Granted, 5gb of data is a lot that their tethering plan limits you to, but I'd really rather not get that surprise $3,000 bill in my email.

7. Quintessence

Trust me, you arn't the first Droid user to want tethering ability. ;)

We have some pretty talented developers making this a reality.

8. c_aus

That I DO believe!! :D

9. i VTAK

i VTAK Well-Known Member

As long as you're not using INCREDIBLE amounts of bandwidth, I wouldn't worry. The most they'll do if you start going overboard is add a tether plan to you.

10. Quintessence

And until the EVO in the summer, you probably won't see it anywhere else. =P

11. Gh0stShinobi

Gh0stShinobi Active Member

I believe the 5GB is for aircards and the actual tethering plan verizon offers. The smartphone unlimited, is truly unlimited from what I believe. I've actually seen verizon mods on the verizon forums quote this many times. Either way, in places where they have wifi, the speeds would probably be faster than tethering anyway.

12. XxICEMAN720xX

XxICEMAN720xX Well-Known Member

They make less than minimum wage in India, otherwise it would be Tom Dick and Harry on the chat. Seriously, Indians work for nothing get paid like $10 a day per service they chat with, and they chat with 10 ppl at a time with different business's at once. They are like machined drones.

13. Gekko

Gekko Well-Known Member

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."

14. g1701gst

g1701gst Well-Known Member

LOL. tmobile? really? that was your solution?

15. phobic

phobic Well-Known Member

Love the stereotyping in this thread. :cool:

16. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

hahahah

17. 5thElement

5thElement Banned

What is this guy talking about? Just get PDAnet and tether for free. Too funny!

18. c_aus

More or less ;)

I did just download PDAnet and gave it a quick run. It's definitely worth the $25. The speed was not too far off from my home service as far as speed goes...but it is provided by AT&T, so that could explain a lot.

19. c_aus

Yeah, I guess I was trying to be honest ;)

20. vacaloca

vacaloca Active Member

for what it's worth.. if you go to VZAccess Manager, and download the vzaccess software for your phone, you can connect and self-provision the $25/monthly charge for tethering natively... is it worth it? not to me... I use pdanet

21. Quintessence

And when root comes into play, you will regret ever giving it up. =P

22. dm33

dm33 Well-Known Member

Actually this sounds very familiar.

I had almost the exact same experience a few years ago when I tried to sign up for Verizon. I wanted to do a little tethering. Not much data. Didn't need high speed.

- I went to the store. They swore I didn't need to sign up for anything.
    - I called customer service. They stated categorically that I MUST sign up to get any tethering.
    - I went back to the store. They insisted and started practically insulting me that I dared question them.
    - So I tried new phone service, went on vacation with the phone. It worked for a day then tethering wouldn't work.
    - I called customer service. This time I threw in the towel. I needed tethering, so I said I'd be willing to pay an astronimical $50/mo ADDITIONAL that I had been told by customer service earlier.
    It took them 45 minutes on hold various times trying to find this plan.
    Because I did NOT have a 3G phone, they decided I could not sign up for the $50/mo plan and my only option was an $80/mo ADDITIONAL plan.

I did not sign up. I could not tether the rest of the vacation. I decided that Verizon was a very screwed up place.

But it got worse. When I went to cancel my $40/mo service after 10 days... I was very surprised and not happy to receive a $300 bill!!

They had charged me termination fee... even after 10 days! And they used creative accounting on minutes, determining I was only entitled to 1/3 of the plan minutes and therefore any additional minutes were $.40/min.

WOW.

That was 3 or 4 years ago. I stayed on Sprint at the time, paying $35/mo for data and tethering. Then I switched to AT&T for the iPhone.

I'm trying the Incredible and Verizon now. I hope I don't have to deal with customer service. I love the coverage compared to AT&T, but I never had a problem with customer service at AT&T.

23. IncredibleWait

IncredibleWait Member

I would love to hear from one of the VZW folks here on this topic. It's screwy. I was assured at a store that I could tether on the $30 data plan, that you could do that with all the smart phones, etc. Now I hear it's extra $$ to do what the phone just naturally should do. Shoot, what's the difference between it and a MiFi except that you can talk on it? And I'm already paying for a the data plan over the top of a voice plan.

So, Verizon, pull your head out! Tethering should be included in any data plan and you should just set the limits at appropriate levels for $$. Don't make people try to fly under the radar for the obvious. And put WiFi tethering in the base load of the phone software. Show some class!

24. Droidboy850

Droidboy850 Well-Known Member

Goodbye. We won't miss you.

Randino likes this.
  25. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

Mezmryz03 and Outatime like this.