• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Goodbye PDANet

I've never heard of PDANET costing anyone anything..I'm currently using PDANET and every single website I've been to works just fine..As far as I know it's completely free..My only question is how much data can I use until verizon starts blowing their whistle at me!?.. Have any of you used pdanet for heavy/daily browsing for days or even weeks at a time without verizon ever asking questions~?..

Upvote 0
I've never heard of PDANET costing anyone anything..I'm currently using PDANET and every single website I've been to works just fine..As far as I know it's completely free..My only question is how much data can I use until verizon starts blowing their whistle at me!?.. Have any of you used pdanet for heavy/daily browsing for days or even weeks at a time without verizon ever asking questions~?..

No, but someone on here said they downloaded 50+GB of data from torrents. I thought it was a bit much, but if they guy's not lying, then no, it doesn't seem as if anyone's gotten in trouble.

PDANet is free for two weeks; after that, to get to HTTPS sites, you need to pay. You're not cut off from the internet, but you're limited. This program has no such thing. Free to do whatever you want.

I hope this isn't another Tapatalk that goes out of commission once users start picking up.

Upvote 0
PDANet is free for two weeks; after that, to get to HTTPS sites, you need to pay. You're not cut off from the internet, but you're limited. This program has no such thing. Free to do whatever you want.

Absolutely about PDAnet..just wait till you need to log in to a site such as facebook. I just have a hard time paying $30 for an app. People can argue with me that it's well worth it but others can make a free app that does the same thing, as we see from the link above. $5 for the app? Yeah..I'd pay it.

Upvote 0
Absolutely about PDAnet..just wait till you need to log in to a site such as facebook. I just have a hard time paying $30 for an app. People can argue with me that it's well worth it but others can make a free app that does the same thing, as we see from the link above. $5 for the app? Yeah..I'd pay it.

Cross your fingers VZW never does anything to ever backlog this data and come back to us once they add something to charge us for tethering. Or that they never add anything at all. This is awesome. My parents have crappy 1.5 Mbps DSL from AT&T for $20. Never used it when I was away for school, but now, my torrent speeds are barely over the 100kb mark. Good, but not the 300+ I had at my apartment which was shared with about...30 or so people using it at once.

This tethering app has me cruising at about the same speed as my 1.5 Mbps connection. Still kinda scared to download torrents through Verizon, but for surfing, I forget I'm tethering my device.

Glad this thing came up on my Reader and I checked it out.

Upvote 0
Cross your fingers VZW never does anything to ever backlog this data and come back to us once they add something to charge us for tethering. Or that they never add anything at all. This is awesome. My parents have crappy 1.5 Mbps DSL from AT&T for $20. Never used it when I was away for school, but now, my torrent speeds are barely over the 100kb mark. Good, but not the 300+ I had at my apartment which was shared with about...30 or so people using it at once.

This tethering app has me cruising at about the same speed as my 1.5 Mbps connection. Still kinda scared to download torrents through Verizon, but for surfing, I forget I'm tethering my device.

Glad this thing came up on my Reader and I checked it out.

In all of the forum posts that I've read here and in other cell forums...I have not come across anyone who has ever been charged for tethering. The only thing that I can foresee with the torrent thing is Verizon getting a letter from the RIAA or MPAA saying that you are downloading an illegal movie. I haven't seen this in a forum either but I did get an email from Charter some time back when I d/l'ed a movie. I've since decided to just rent them.

Upvote 0
EasyTether is now just a crappy knock-off of PDANet:

"You can register the already downloaded EasyTether for $9.95, PayPal and all credit cards are accepted. EasyTether Lite will block secure sites (https) after some time, http sites will work forever though."

Google Android Tethering Solution

It doesn't support Mac, and everything else is the same or slightly less reliable.

However, it does cost something more reasonable.

Upvote 0

I'm not disagreeing with you that $30 is a lot for the app. I *am* chuckling though, because when I was on WinMo, many/most apps cost $20+ and it amuses me that I'm already spoiled by the free and cheap apps on Android. Now I say like you $30 for an app???? Six months ago I would have paid it without thinking twice if it did something I needed it to do!

Upvote 0
No, but someone on here said they downloaded 50+GB of data from torrents. I thought it was a bit much, but if they guy's not lying, then no, it doesn't seem as if anyone's gotten in trouble.

5GB is the monthly limit over the 5gb mark is when they cut the speed and latency into a million pieces until your next month starts. Happened to a friend of mine that relies on tethering as a dedicated isp.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if EasyTether works on the leaked 2.1? ....I am running 2.1 v2 and cannot seem to get it working.

I have 64bit Windows 7 and the proper drivers installed. Each time I try to start EasyTether on my phone it immediately force closes. I know my computer is recognizing my phone because when I right click the EasyTether icon on the bottom right I have the option to connect to my Eris which is labeled 'Connect via Android - (HT9CDHG01003)'

I click that and get a get an error saying Connection attempt failed. Enable USB mode on your smartphone.

Any ideas??

P.S. PDANet has never been consistent for me.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if EasyTether works on the leaked 2.1? ....I am running 2.1 v2 and cannot seem to get it working.

I have 64bit Windows 7 and the proper drivers installed. Each time I try to start EasyTether on my phone it immediately force closes. I know my computer is recognizing my phone because when I right click the EasyTether icon on the bottom right I have the option to connect to my Eris which is labeled 'Connect via Android - (HT9CDHG01003)'

I click that and get a get an error saying Connection attempt failed. Enable USB mode on your smartphone.

Any ideas??

P.S. PDANet has never been consistent for me.

You'll need to enable USB debugging. Go to Settings, Apps, and it should be there.

Upvote 0
EasyTether isn't free either. It's not as expensive as PDANet, but it costs $9.99 for HTTPS access.

OMG you do know how old this thread is right???

Why do people do that. Correct months old threads/posts with new updated info. Easy tether lite is free. you're talking about the full version. It used to be completely free.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones