Goodbye sweeter home 2, we had fun while it lasted

Last Updated:

1. DaygosDankest

DaygosDankest Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

After spending about a month and a half with sweeter home and dealing with the laggyness and force closes ive finally decided to give it up. Which makes me a little upset because it was awesome, the customization was insane. The last straw though was a lock up at the droid eye and I had to run it in safe mode to delete the sweeter apk. And while that may not make you users who have rooted your phones nervous, as someone who's not very tech savvy, it made me extremely nervous. I would recommend this home replacement app to anyone and I'll be buying it when they get all the bugs worked out.

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Quitter! :p

3. VeryApe

VeryApe Well-Known Member

I've found that all the home replacements seem to cause trouble. I finally got sick of dealing with FC's and laggyness. Rooted and installed the beast and couldnt be happier.

4. DaygosDankest

what is this beast you speak of?

5. reznorfan0

reznorfan0 Well-Known Member

Bugless Beast. Awsome ROM by Pete.

I really want to run sweeter home, really do. I just don't have the patience or wife approved free time to go as in depth with it as I would want to. If I can't do something all in, i usually don't do it at all.

From the little I have played with it, the one thing that doesn't seem possible is having a stationary "call" button that is fixed as you change between homescreens. This button is the reason I like GDE and home++ so much, on both replacements that function doesn't intrude on the homescreen space either.

I haven't had lag or stability problems (maybe a bit more with home++) with either home replacement (running the smoked glass ROM). I will likely visit sweeter home once it gets it's full release, until then, I will probably keep reinstalling it every 3 weeks, playing with it for an hour until I remember that I suck, and then uninstalling and going back to GDE or ++ again.

6. DaygosDankest

Ihaha, I feel you. But once you get the general idea of how it works it isn't all that difficult. You can get lost fiddling around with mundane options for quite a while though if you're not careful.

7. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I spent a ton of time customizing a SW2 theme. It was perfect and awesome. So nice in fact that I never had to leave my one homescreen. I was able to access all of my widgets, apps, shortcuts, whatever on the main screen. I was very happy with it.

Maybe I just crammed too much into one space, but it was completely unstable. It locked up, force closed, caused boot problems, butchered my widgets and messed with other things too. I had issues with sound, SMS, all weird quirks that disappeared when I uninstalled SW2. Too bad, it's such an awesome program.

8. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

Yeah I really want to love SweeterHome2 but even on my O/C beast it's still laggy. All of the home screen replacements are still laggy. I did Pete's update to stock theme and it lagged more so I went back to stock Bugless Beast.

9. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

That's just how I have mine set up. I haven't even done anything with the other screens. But SH2 wreaks havoc with some apps, FCs often now (especially since the latest "update") and causes the phone not to come out of the boot screen after a lock-up after using the Camera Zoom FX app shuts down the 2.1 Gallery (cool.iris.com) in a cyclical FC. I then have to either call my Droid or place it in the dock to get it to come out of the boot screen.

-But, even though this has embarassed me in front of friends & family (-who all insist that this is what I get for overclocking & messing with it...), I'm gonna stick with it in hopes that they work out all this stuff.
    They need to impliment whatever you call that feedback email thing that automatically sends them the log of events that led up to the FC.

10. holmgren

holmgren Well-Known Member

stuck on the droid eye as I type this.. lol. I love it so much, but makes me so mad :(

11. zyxwvu44

zyxwvu44 Active Member

im not having problems with SH, i dont know why. every once in a while ill get a fc, but it comes back within a few seconds. im running at 800mhz now and SH is awesome! way faster than the stock screen even. i love it :)

12. slick_old

slick_old Well-Known Member

Just root and install the ROM of your choice. They all have 5 screens and are all silky smooth (virtually no FC's). If you install the Sholes updater, choose NOT to install the 2.1 3D Launcher at the instillation options screen. The normal Smoked Glass (or whatever it's called) launcher is good enough.

13. tbflx

tbflx Active Member

Hit enough of the buttons that it force-closes and it'll pop you out of the eye.

14. Droid_Junky

Droid_Junky Well-Known Member

Does everyone know there is a new release on the Sweeter Home site as of the 10th? Seems to be much better than the last version.

15. gimmeanathlon

gimmeanathlon Well-Known Member

Don't blame ya. While cool concept, Buggy was its middle name.

16. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

17. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Why yes ... yes it can. :p

18. carnadi88

carnadi88 Active Member

How do you load BB's theme?

19. gimmeanathlon

Don't get us wrong. Cool features, but buggy and laggy.
    Your clip hinted at the lag on a few spots.
    Had I made that clip,a couple of force closes would have been in the sample.
    Just user preference when it comes down to it. Happy it works for you.

20. rjoudrey

A second delay here or there may hurt my ego but not ruin my day. It is good training for obsessive compulsive behavior to have to wait a little sometimes.

21. gimmeanathlon

lol
    Good outlook.
    I'm just glad we have all the cool options we do.We find what works for us until we're completely happy.
    Droid is an awesome phone!
    I'm thrilled with it every day.

22. snake_fist_gung_fu

snake_fist_gung_fu Well-Known Member

Eh I tried SH but it just had too many bugs. It would be a great program if it was stable but right now I use Pandahome91. Yea its not the most flashest program but its stable and I dont have to deal with FC all the time.

23. kkwan77

kkwan77 Well-Known Member

Time to move onto SlideScreen Pro. Don't waste time on the free version get the paid version.

24. rjoudrey

I could not make any sense of this app.

25. jbman

jbman Active Member

I am about to have to agree with the OP. I was trying the build before this last update and the size of the Sweeter Home file just kept growing and growing until it was close to 15mb!! At that point I was having problems with it FCing just about everytime I went from an app to the homescreen so I thought the best thing to do would be to wait until those things were fixed. Then they released the new build on the 10th. I DL'd that and made a completely different theme than the one I had before. It did work a little better for a while but I have noticed that with each little change I make to tweak it to my liking, the data part of the file grows more and more. I save my changes to the SDcard, making sure to save over the last one each time. As of now I have had it for 6 days, it started out around 4mb file size and is now about 10.55mb. It is starting to get to the state that it was before, many more FC's and slugginess.

I agree with the OP, it is a great app and I love having the freedom to customize everything but, it just may be too early in development yet. I have heard that the dev's are aware of the file size growing bigger problem, however, so hopefully they will have it addressed by the next release.