Google account info please

Last Updated:

1. Nightbreed

Nightbreed Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, The Wife is up town now getting me the HTC Hero. I've just watched a vid on the internet where it says I need a google account. Ok, I signed up but what's it for? What do I do with it?
    Also, I need to be able to get emails on my phone, Can I set it up to recieve from ,say my work account and my hotmail account?
    Cheers folks.

Advertisement
  2. TheSultan

TheSultan Well-Known Member

the Hero is an Android based phone, Android is a Google product. Soo, it's designed to sync and integrate with all of Google's products..like....Gmail, Contacts, GCalendar, Google Buzz, Latitude, your profile....ENDLESS amounts of products. I don't think you NEED a google account, but, in my opinion, without one you'd be missing most of what the phone can do.

You can set up your work email and hotmail (hotmail still exists btw??) to your Hero as well.

3. Nightbreed

Cheers for that. Sorry about the double post thing.

4. Bramsy

Bramsy Well-Known Member

once you get your contacts in place, there is always a backup if the phone goes rogue on you or decides to live with another owner. i think that is a great way for a easy safehouse!!

5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Yes to all your questions and more! May I direct your attention to My Hero guide (and app guide). Ask away if you have any further questions, no matter how simple it may seem, lots of peeps here happy to help!

6. Nightbreed

Thank you, I have to admit, I'm not good with technology so feeling a bit daunted at the prospect of having to try set it all up but also excited and looking forward to getting a decent phone at last.

No doubt more questions to follow.:D

7. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Looking forward to them :cool:

8. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

First thing is to export all your existing contacts to Outlook, then export the contacts from Outlook to a csv file and import them into yopur gmail account.

This will then automatically sync your contacts to your new shiney hero... The phone is amazing btw, dont listen to the haters, it has its issues, but they are minor and generally work aroundable

9. Nightbreed

Oh this is gonna be bad, I just know it.
    Believe it or not, you lost me at Outlook. As for exporting them to a csv file...may as well be typing in a foreign language mate.
    I only have a couple of contacts for email and they are in a hotmail account.
    My phone contacts are on my sim which I've just put into the posh phone as per the instructions. Just put it in charge so it'll be 3 hours before I turn it on now.
    Probably be back in 3 hours 10 mins.
    :D

10. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

turn it on NOWWWWWWWWWWWW, I wouldn't be able to wait!

11. tojjer

tojjer Well-Known Member

:D:D:D:D:D
    I couldn't wait when I got mine in February, straight out the box and on it went !!;)

This a great forum and you'll get lots of help with the phone. I'm doing stuff on it now I wouldn't have dreamt I'd be doing, mostly because of help I've gotten off of here.

Go on, you know you want to, TURN IT ON !!!!!!!

12. Nightbreed

Well, it says to leave it off and charging for 3 hours so determined to do that. Just went to it to see if it'd finished charging and it seems I forgot to turn the socket on. I knew I was bad with tech but that's bad even for me.:D
    Gutted TBH.
    Anyway when I turn it on, I know I have to update it. Di I just download the update and plug the phone in or what?
    :confused:

Ta
    Mark the Crap One.

13. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

When you turn the phone on, in settings about phone, you will see a build number, compare this with the latest Rom available for your provider from the HTC website,

14. Nightbreed

Right, here we go then.......:p

My phone isopen sim but I'm on Orange.
    Under "Build Number" it says " 2.73.405.66 cl#83173 release-keys"
    I take it i dont need the bit after CL?
    Looking on the HTC site there is a seperrate one for Orange, do I need that one or is that for phone locked to orange?
    Cheers gents.

15. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Nope you have the latest HTC ROM
    ROM version 2.73.405.5 is the one on the HTC site for non branded handsets. your good to go, and the bonus is that as your not tied to a carrier, you will get your 2.1 upgrade brfore me, because I have to wait for the Orange one..

Linky http://www.htc.com/uk/SupportDownload.aspx?p_id=283&cat=2&dl_id=671

16. Nightbreed

Lovely. Cheers for that. No doubt I'll be back.
    Thanks again.

17. Nightbreed

Next one...:D

Can I send/ receive pics/ music etc... with bluetooth? If so, how do I link to other device?
    Also, what is the best program to use for making notes etc...?
    Basically I breed/ sell spiders and want to be able to get a price list made up on my phone that I can alter/ add to/ remove from. You know the sort of thing. Also need it to make notes when pricing up jobs (plasterer). Must be pretty easy to use.

Ta for all the help so far folks.
    Mark

18. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Bluetooth file transfer is not possible, its a feature of 2.1 due this month hopefully, I use AK note pad for notes

19. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

The trick is to try out apps, and see wha5 works for you, paid apps don't charge your card for 24 hours, and auto refund if you un install them in this period

Nightbreed likes this.
  20. Nightbreed

Cheers mate, Gotta say I've signed up on 3 forums about this phone and this is the only one with any help. Just gonna remove bookmarks for the other 2 now.

Aah, the 2.1 thing is what I've seen then. I knew I read something about file transfer. It isn't a big issue really, just a bit useful sometimes so looking forward to it coming.
    I'll have a look around the apps for that AK and see what I think.

Ooh, I'm getting good at this smartfone thing now. Managed to change the pic of the clock on the screen.:D:D

21. Nightbreed

WHERE'S MY GURU?????:D

I've set up my Hotmail account to import from my work email.

I set up the email on the phone to recieve from my hotmail account. ok, no problems so far.
    I set it up and a load of emails appeared.
    I checked the phone this morning and no emails. Thought nowt of it till I come onto the 'pooter and see I have 4 emails.
    Any ideas why they didn't appear on the phone?
    Do I have to hit something tophysically check for emails? I looked on the user guide but can see anything.I thought they would simply pop up on the phone.
    Cheers once again.

22. PygmyArr

PygmyArr Member

android is a google product (as said earlier) and hotmail is a microsoft product.

what you need to do is (if you havent already done so) on your desktop pc/laptop create a gmail/googlemaill account, then get gmail/googlemail to check your hotmail for incoming.

that is unless someone else jumps in with another app/way to get android to recieve hotmail messages. (mines not arrived yet as 3 uk screwed me over with upgrade advice :( )

23. Nightbreed

Cheers but looks like it was a glitch or something cause it's getting them fine now.

24. Nightbreed

Right, next one...
    I've set my own ring tone (Too Dead to Die by Wednesday 13- the scream gets people panicking) for incoming calls.
    Is it possible to set another song as an incoming message tone?
    Looked around but cant see how. I can get it to play a default noise but I kep missing them.
    Same question for notifications of incoming email.
    Ta.

25. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Try mounting the SD card to your pc and dropping the sound file in to the notifications folder in the media folder on the SD card