Google Announces Official 2.2 update for Nexus One This WeekGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Well-Known Member

Really? Google's own phone is just now getting 2.2, and you're upset that your Moment doesn't have it yet?

Google's own phones are always going to be on the bleeding edge.

Luckily, as I understand it, Google is going to slow down the Android release cycle a little bit. Hopefully that helps with this problem.

-SF

3. Zumaki

I'm not mad the N1 gets it first, or before the Moment; it's that the Moment isn't getting it at all.

Not only that, its also being released right after Samsung finally got around to releasing 2.1.

4. italygrl1

italygrl1 Well-Known Member

Yeah the moment and the hero arent getting any more updates..Ridiculous! Its not like the phones are that old.Geez.People are still buying them and i dont see why the moment and hero users arent entitled to the same update as the newer devices.

5. Sorian

Sorian Well-Known Member

As stated in some of the other threads, it isn't Google saying no, its Sprint.

Without the full reason for it not getting anymore updates, everything becomes speculations. It could be a hardware or software limitation, not enough people to work on it to get ported right, etc. the list of reasons behind "no 2.2" can be endless or as simple as they don't want to deal with it.

6. ABH

ABH Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that manufacturers made these decisions, probably with input from the carriers. I lay the blame on Samsung.

7. Zumaki

It's Samsung's fault, and we already know the reason: they don't like Android, and don't want to invest money in it if they can get away with it. The two versions that the Moment have run on are proof of that fact.

8. vbetts

vbetts Well-Known Member

It's both the carrier and the manufacturer of the device to supply updates. Samsung makes the 2.1 update for the phone, Sprint adds their own codes and what not and then delivers it. The problem with the Moment, is the Moment was both Sprint and Samsungs first serious attempt at Android. Yes the Hero was out before the Moment, but the Hero was not the Android flagship of Sprint. I feel that Samsung does not have anything good or bad towards Google and Android, they're neutral about it. But they hop on the bandwagon as every other company did. Samsung makes pretty nice devices, if they took it seriously then the Moment could have been a Droid killer easily. The Moment was the stepping stone, the Intercept is the mid level Android, the Epic(and other Galaxy S phones) are the flagship of Samsung right now. Which if something better was offered as an alternative to Android(We'll see windows mobile 7), Samsung would jump shift no issue I bet.

9. pastafarian

pastafarian P√Ętes avec votre foie Moderator

They don't like Android? With the Galaxy s line, they're committing big time to Android and will compete with if not exceed HTC in units sold by the end of the year. If it's not love, it's extreme like.

I'm not a fan of Samsung and how they treated this phone, but I can understand cutting this phone off at 2.1. In reality, 2.2 won't offer a tremendous upgrade for the Moment beyond maybe the JIT (check out a meatkernal based rom for near JIT performance without JIT beta instability). Flash isn't coming and most of the cool items like the new gallery, live wallpaper and multitouch were already striped out in 2.1. 2.2 won't fix the CDMA lockup problem, the weak GPS reception or the (now) smallish 3.2" screen. The hacker community will continue to support the phone and I have no doubt 2.2 in some form with multitouch will come.

10. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

Right after? Little longer than that. :rolleyes:

Moment was an okay starter Android device, but I'm ready to move on. Nothing to get in a huff about.

11. Zumaki

If they support the future phones for updates any faster than they did with the Moment, I might believe you. But they want to do their Bada thing, and see Android as a way to cash in until they get that rolling.