• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Apps account, or GMail account?

KlaymenDK

Android Expert
May 29, 2009
Denmark
Hey all.
I know that a Google account is required for Android -- but does it have to be a Google GMail account, or will a Google Apps account do just as well? :thinking:

My family uses Google Apps to provide GMail (etc.) at our own domain, so my email address is me@myfamily.tld and not me@gmail.com -- I'm hoping I will be able to use this to log into Android!

Edit: Yes you can. However a few apps (e.g. Google My Maps) insist on a true Google account, and will appear unconnected to your Google Apps account.

Reactions: gameration
Hi,

I got my HTC Hero today and is the same situation as you. I have a Google Apps address with my family name. I've used this during the setup and now I have access to email, calendar and address book! :D

It is working great. I only wish you could have 2 Google Apps account... but the second one (work) I will use the browser (it is working well...).

Raphael

Upvote 0
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new topic. I have a very similar question and I'm not sure if the original posters question was answered.

Is anyone else having issues logging into the market using a non-gmail google account? I use a non-gmail account to login to Google via a computer which works fine but doesn't work on the Droid.

Any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Similar issue, but I cannot even set up my Droid using my Google Apps (GAFYD) account.

This is a new Motorola Droid on VZW running Android 2.0. The setup process fails with my Google account. The error message is "username and password do not match". However, I can go to google.com and log in successfully with the username and password.

The only way to set up my Droid is to create a new google account. But I am not about to abandon my email, Google Voice, maps and other existing information in my current google account.

How can I get Android 2.0 to work with my google account? Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones