• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Google Assistant port?

Had a look, it looks like they changed the build.prop to make the phone look like a Pixel XL. Only other requirement was to have the Google app installed, so either you can try editing our build.prop similarly or for bonus points hack the apk to activate the Google Assistant. My guess, though, is that this will require CM14. No, CM14 isn't happening for at least a few more months.

Upvote 0
Can someone please clarify how exactly to get it working? I installed AndroidN-ify and it themed my phone but saying OK Google still didn't bring up the assistant, even after installing the pixel launcher and getting the beta Google app

I just did the same exact thing anybody have any info on how to get assistant going

Reactions: che_edgar
Upvote 0
I just did the same exact thing anybody have any info on how to get assistant going
If I'm not mistaken guys the development of this module is almost done. If you head to their XDA thread you'll find that they're at 90% of completion. Moreover, there is a beta version or experimental version which is in their GitHub I don't know if you all want to dig and look for it. Take in mind that it's only 3 devs working on this. Cheers.

Upvote 0
If I'm not mistaken guys the development of this module is almost done. If you head to their XDA thread you'll find that they're at 90% of completion. Moreover, there is a beta version or experimental version which is in their GitHub I don't know if you all want to dig and look for it. Take in mind that it's only 3 devs working on this. Cheers.

That's the one I originally installed that didn't make it work

Upvote 0
I was able to get Google Assitant working but only on google now launcher, it's not working on the pixel launcher sadly. The steps I took was I downloaded and installed the latest Android N-ify APK from this link - https://ci.paphonb.xyz/jenkins/job/AndroidN-ify/ I installed build number #784. Then went into the settings in Android N-ify and chose the option "use "Namey McNameface" Icon". Then I was messing around with the lock screen setting on the phone and I chose Smart lock > Trusted Voice I turned on "Trusted Voice" then I clicked "Retain Voice Model" and Google Assistant popped up it asks you to say "Ok Google" 3 times. Then go to the home screen and say "Ok Google" and Google Assistant will pop up. There is one annoying thing about it I haven't been able to figure out is each time she pops up it wants you to set you voice, I just click "do it later" because no matter how many times I do it it will pop up every time! I've had a great time talking to Google Assistant and I'm enjoying it. I hope this is helpful!

Upvote 0
I was able to get Google Assitant working but only on google now launcher, it's not working on the pixel launcher sadly. The steps I took was I downloaded and installed the latest Android N-ify APK from this link - https://ci.paphonb.xyz/jenkins/job/AndroidN-ify/ I installed build number #784. Then went into the settings in Android N-ify and chose the option "use "Namey McNameface" Icon". Then I was messing around with the lock screen setting on the phone and I chose Smart lock > Trusted Voice I turned on "Trusted Voice" then I clicked "Retain Voice Model" and Google Assistant popped up it asks you to say "Ok Google" 3 times. Then go to the home screen and say "Ok Google" and Google Assistant will pop up. There is one annoying thing about it I haven't been able to figure out is each time she pops up it wants you to set you voice, I just click "do it later" because no matter how many times I do it it will pop up every time! I've had a great time talking to Google Assistant and I'm enjoying it. I hope this is helpful!
Thanks for the detailed steps. My friend got Google assistant working on his phone and he said that he just opens it by double pressing the home button so it doesn't ask you to set up voice.

Upvote 0

I have the same issue with Google Assistant I have been doing a lot of tinkering and googling trying to fix the issue if anyone figures that out please let me know

Upvote 0
Thanks for the detailed steps. My friend got Google assistant working on his phone and he said that he just opens it by double pressing the home button so it doesn't ask you to set up voice.

I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to work that way. I have tried a few things but have been unable to get the assistant to pop up by double pressing the home button. I will keep trying to find the solution. I really enjoy the google assistant. I had actually pre-ordered the pixel and it never showed up so I called google and they said my phone got lost so I had them just give me a refund and I bought a new laptop instead. I ended up still getting the free daydream view though :p so now I need to buy the pixel or wait for another daydream view compatible phone comes out

Upvote 0
I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to work that way. I have tried a few things but have been unable to get the assistant to pop up by double pressing the home button. I will keep trying to find the solution. I really enjoy the google assistant. I had actually pre-ordered the pixel and it never showed up so I called google and they said my phone got lost so I had them just give me a refund and I bought a new laptop instead. I ended up still getting the free daydream view though :p so now I need to buy the pixel or wait for another daydream view compatible phone comes out
I'm assuming you do settings>buttons>double tap action>voice search or search assistant

Upvote 0
There is a new easier and more reliable way to get google assistant. I have found no issues with this method and is way more reliable and works just as it does on the pixel. Also, I have no problem with the voice as I did with the other option. :)

The first step - Flash the newest Xposed Framework - Version 87 and also install the newest Xposed installer APK wich is version 3.1 you can find both of those things here -(http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=3034811)

*If you are running on CM13.0 You will want to select SDK 23 and "Xposed-v87-sdk23-arm.zip" when choosing what Xposed version you will want to download then it may ask when downloading or installing what DPI you have on your phone you will want to chose 240 DPI. If you need any help let me know and I will try my best to help.

Second Step - Open Xposed installer and download and install the module "Assistant Enabler" make sure of course to go and Enable the module and restart your phone and that is it :) just say "Ok Google" or go to Settings < Buttons < Double tap action then chose Search assistant. Once you have done that double tap the home button and Google assistant will pop up

**Do this at you own risk I'm not responsible for any damage or soft bricks or hard bricks caused by this advice!

Reactions: dvdavid888
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones