• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google backup - confused

(HTC Desire-Z, AOS 2.2.1)

I've worked out what I think the built-in backup to Google does, but I'd like to be able to see what has been backed up, and when. The system is completely opaque - how do I know it's working until I loose my phone and then find it doesn't restore to the replacement ?!?

Also, there is now an API that app developers can use to get their data included in the Google backup - but I have no idea which if any apps are using it. And again, if they say they are, how do I know it's working?

I'd have expected a web page under my Google account where I could see my Android backup, but no such thing seems to exist - am I missing anything? There's a whole "just trust us, we're Google" feel to this!

I've added an app specifically for SMS & call log (SMS Backup+), and I use rsync to backup the sdcard to my Linux box, but there's a big gap. It seems bonkers to have to root the phone just to do this.

Most of the Android ecosystem seems well thought out, but I just don't understand this part!

Cheers, Rick

I must have missed something. What google back up are you guys talking about on Android?
Go into the main settings, then Privacy - there are two check boxes where you can turn backup and/or restore on or off. That's it! It backs "stuff" onto Googles servers, somewhere under your Google account, but you cannot see it, and have no idea what's in it!

Quite why it's under Privacy beats me too, especially as it's the only thing in that section. :thinking:

Cheers, Rick
HTC Desire-Z, AOS 2.2.1

Upvote 0
This must be phone specific, I don't have this on my Fascinate.

I think it's OS version-specific and was introduced with Froyo.

I know it backs up the Market data associated with the primary Google account on the handset, as after a factory reset your purchased apps automagically start reinstalling themselves if the "Restore" option is checked during initial setup. Other than that it's speculation. :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones