• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google backup tangle

RuthB

Lurker
Jan 3, 2013
Hi
I'm not very technical so please bear with me!
When I got my S3, my husband kindly shared his contacts with me, so I could get started, using his Google account. That worked really well.
Since then, I've been changing, deleting and adding new contacts and I'm frightened that if I sync the phone, he'll lose data he needs.
So, I've created my own Google account, but I just can't manage to successfully backup the data to it - perhaps because his account is still on the phone.
When I try to delete his account from the list of accounts, the phone warns me that I'll lose all my contacts. But equally, I'm worried about losing my phone without having backed it up.
I tried Kies but gave up in frustration - it's way too unfriendly :(.
Please can someone help me?
My S3 tells me it's running Android version 4.1.2, if that helps.
Thanks,
Ruth

Hi
I'm not very technical so please bear with me!
When I got my S3, my husband kindly shared his contacts with me, so I could get started, using his Google account. That worked really well.
Since then, I've been changing, deleting and adding new contacts and I'm frightened that if I sync the phone, he'll lose data he needs.
So, I've created my own Google account, but I just can't manage to successfully backup the data to it - perhaps because his account is still on the phone.
When I try to delete his account from the list of accounts, the phone warns me that I'll lose all my contacts. But equally, I'm worried about losing my phone without having backed it up.
I tried Kies but gave up in frustration - it's way too unfriendly :(.
Please can someone help me?
My S3 tells me it's running Android version 4.1.2, if that helps.
Thanks,
Ruth

Takes a bit of time but maybe write down the contacts?

If not there may be an app someone else would know of here or you might be able to go in-store and get them to do the backup before you reset everything on that little machine they have

Upvote 0
Yes basically you are going to backup the contacts, Google Calendar entries and any Gmail messages as they are tied to his gmail account. Export the contacts to a file on the sdcard and then remove his account. I have heard that you can only remove the ownership gmail by doing a factory reset, but I would try to just delete it first. Once that is done, log in with YOUR Gmail account and then import your contacts and whatever else you need. You will need to reinstall any apps you have, so jot them down as well before deleting his Gmail.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones