Google Books on the XoomSupport

1. BCM

BCM Well-Known Member

I was wondering if there was a way to add epub books to the Google Books reader on the Xoom? These would be books not purchased through the Google eBookstore itself.

I'm wondering if anyone with a Xoom could comment.

Thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. tcallahan

tcallahan Well-Known Member

I am wondering this same thing. Seems a shame if you cannot!
  3. clb2196

clb2196 Well-Known Member

Same question here. The Nook app works (altho I hate the lack of magazines :( ) but the Google Books app is so pretty I'd like to be able to add my books there instead.
  4. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Member

I couldn't find a way to do it, but it works fine with Aldiko, which is a good app. No fancy page-turning animations, but it's good for reading, and pretty configurable.
  5. papermonkey01

papermonkey01 Well-Known Member

On Google's FAQ for Google books they mentioned that they do not yet support adding personal libraries to a Google book account. Ergo...no you can't use that sweet Google book app for anything except content purchased in their bookstore. :(:(
  6. tcallahan

tcallahan Well-Known Member

Do not yet....kinda sounds like maybe they will? At some point?
  7. superflybribri

superflybribri Well-Known Member

Are there any suggestions on a good app to use if I have a PDF of a reference book that I scanned into the computer for fast viewing and page turning? The book is around 400 page single PDF.
  8. papermonkey01

I don't like aldiko's rendering of PDF, I had to resize every single page to view it properly. Honestly using quick office isn't bad, nice and simple. Another option for u is a sweet little program I found called Calibre. It's free with a requested donation, and lets you convert any type to any type of ebook, lets you fully edit the META data, and with enough information will even download book covers and info on the book for you. I recommended checking it out.

E-book Conversion — calibre User Manual
  9. clb2196

clb2196 Well-Known Member

Just a note- I haven't done this yet, but if you have a Nook, you should be able to do it backwards, starting now anyway. As long as Google books has a downloadable version of the book (it should tell you) you can buy the books through Google Books then move to the Nook, or any eReader that supports ePub. Then the books will show up in Google Books, anyway. I might try this out.
  10. Cincybearcatfan

Cincybearcatfan Well-Known Member

I have bought 2 books for my Xoom from the Google Book Store. I previewed BOTH prior to purchase and both worked fine. After I purchased them, BOTH stopped working. It just says "Loading . . . ." when I open them. Anyone else running into this issue. Google Books refunded my first book. I tried my second one last night hoping it would be OK; it's not. Just venting, hoping someone else has had my problem and found a solution because Google isn't giving me any.
  11. papermonkey01

have you tried a reset? Hold down volume up and power for a few seconds
  12. Cincybearcatfan

I have when it locks up, but this doesn't seem to be an issue related to my Xoom locking up, it just won't load the book. I can turn the pages, jump from section to section with the menu, but it never loads the words. Just says "Loading...." I've tried to "make it available offline" but that doesn't work. Just at a loss. :confused:
  13. Cincybearcatfan

Sounds to me like it's an app issue. I wrote to Google Books and here is the reply that they gave me:

Hello XXXX,

Yes, I remember your previous email. Unfortunately, we've been having
    issues with the Bible, as books with long chapters take awhile to load and
    the Bible in particular has extremely long chapters.

I apologize for the frustrating experience. Our technical staff is aware
    of this issue and is working to fix it in future app versions. The next
    app version should fix some of these loading issues, but unfortunately the
    Bible is such a long chapter that I'm not sure it will fix the Bible's
    loading issue.

Again, I'm so sorry about this issue. If you would like to request a
    refund, please click on the link below:

Thank you for your continued interest in Google eBooks.

Sincerely,

Anna

The Google Books Team
  14. papermonkey01

Gotta love that answer. "yes we know it's broke but it should be fixed sometime"
  15. Cincybearcatfan

I couldn't agree more.:(