Google calendar and contacts

Last Updated:

1. oggg

oggg Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

Is there a way to sync Google calendar and contacts to the phone calendar and contacts?

I deleted all my outlook entries (calendar and contacts) from the phone because it was creating duplicates. Now, I am syncing my Hero with my Lotus Notes calendar at work, as well with my Google calendar. I can see all appointments on my phone. However, I can't see Lotus appointments on my Google account, neither my Google calendar entries on my Lotus Notes.

How can I sync them all? If I import my Google entries into Lotus, it will create duplicates in the Phone and vice-versa.

I don't see any advantages for Google entries to be separated from my other entries. I have one list of contacts and that list should be the same across all programs I use. The same for calendars (actually it is useful to have multiple calendars, as long as no duplicates exists).

That, for me, is the biggest drawback of the HTC Hero. My Moto Q was a lot worse phone than the Hero, but the calendar and contacts sync was much better.

Tks

Advertisement
  2. SDscorch

SDscorch Well-Known Member

the way you gotta think about this is forget about your ph for a sec

teh phone and google are "one" - what happens on the ph, happens on google (in gmail/contacts/calendar)

so.. how are you going to link/reconcile lotus w/ google

i do not know - i'mnot a lotus guy

but.. you "probably" are not the first lotus notes kinda guy to want to get google and lotus synced up - i'd start w/ a quick google search, teh answer is probably out there

i'll bet that either lotus figured it out or google figured it out already

3. oggg

Actually the phone and Google aren't quite one cause even though what happens in Google happens to the phone, what happens to the phone won't necessarily happen in Google, and that is where my problem comes from. Google is not the default calendar and contacts list for the phone, Google is one calendar and contacts list.

For instance, when I use Astrid (a task add) and have a task being sent to my calendar, it goes to "my calendar" and not Google calendar, and it doesn't get synced to Google. The phone considers "my calendar" to be the default, not Google's.

I have tried to sync Lotus with Google several times in the past and looked all over the inet. I found two softwares that claimed to do the trick. However, none worked (Lotus sucks by the way).

4. SDscorch

SDscorch Well-Known Member

hmm

i *think* you just have to be careful when you create the task/event/appointent to set the calendar as the google acct calendar

i know i have to - i have like four calendars i'm juggling ---- and if i don't catch which calendar the event is going to the first time, i have to delete it and put it in again because you can't edit that property after you've saved it

not from the phone anyway - i thinkyou can on the google webpage

but if it the event stays on the phone and never gets synced w/ google.. you're completely SOL and you gotta delete and type it all in again

again... i *think*

not 100% sure that's your issue

5. cjscol

cjscol Member

6. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

Sounds like the problem is with Astrid. Any appointment I create on my G1 gets synced to my Google Calendar automatically within minutes.

7. oggg

True. If I create a calendar appointment it defaults to Google, and then I can change to another calendar if I wish.

I used Astrid as an example, since Astrid by default sends appointments and notifications to "my calendar" and not Google's, and it doesn't give you the option to choose another calendar.

The same is true for Outlook or Lotus Notes imported calendar entries. Those entries do not sync with Google at all. They are different calendars. They sync with the phone only.

The way Android works with Google is creating a different calendar and contacts which, in my personal opinion, is a poor choice. It is true that the phone always gets all the appointments. However, Google calendar, outlook calendar and Lotus calendar only get synced to their own entries.

I would like to have all entries in all calendars (they should look exactly the same). Unfortunately, Android does not have that capability. I will have to leave with that...

8. cjscol

cjscol Member

CompanionLink says that it will sync Lotus Notes to Google to Android phone.

[​IMG]

How it works
    CompanionLink for Google will sync Lotus Notes contacts, calendar, and tasks with your Google account. Once your data is in your Google account, Google's free over-the-air sync service (called Google Sync) will sync this data with your phone.

So this should get the calendar on your phone, Google and Lotus Notes all looking the same.

Not sure about tasks added to your "My calendar" on the phone but if you haven't tried the product yet give it a go and feedback to us, they offer a free trial. Try it FREE for 14 days.

9. cjscol

cjscol Member

...if I create a new calendar in my GoogleMail account then it is pushed down to my HTC Hero along with all of the appointments in it.

As I use HTC Sync to Synchronise Lotus Notes with my HTC Hero all of my "Lotus Notes" calendar entries are in a calendar named Outlook on my HTC Hero. I created a calendar in Google named Outlook this got pushed down to my HTC Hero along with the entries I created in it and now I have two "Outlook" calendars on my phone. I wonder if I delete the original "Outlook" calendar from my phone, i.e. the one created by HTC Sync, HTC Sync would then syncronise with the Outlook calendar created via Google and then push the "Lotus Notes" entries to Google. I might give it a try, if I do I will let you know what happens.