• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Calendar will not sync

MonkeyGrass

Feb 15, 2010
So - I am the proud new owner of a Fascinate (Eris refugee). Love this phone! I don't seem to have any GPS issues, and reception/call quality is excellent so I guess I got a good one...

Except for one thing. My Google calendar will NOT come down into the phone. I've got my email, contacts, FB, everything else is sync'd up perfectly. But the calendar sync just keeps spinning, and anytime I try to open the calendar on the phone, it black screens and hangs for about 3-4 minutes before FC'ing on me. I understand there is a known issue with creating events on the phone calendar and not syncing to gCal - this is not that problem. The phone seems to be "stuck" trying to sync the calendar. I've let it sit there and spin until it stops. I've pulled the battery, removed downloaded apps, done about everything I can think of here. I've spent quite a bit of time getting this phone set up and I've got it dialed in brilliantly - I really REALLY do not want to throw the last several hours of getting this phone set up right out the window, but it looks like that is my only real option - a factory reset.

Unless, of course, any of the resident guru's around here might have some suggestions? :thinking:

I'm listening...

Thanks guys.

The phone calendar will only link to the calendar of the email address that you associated with the phone. It won't sync to any other gmail calendar.

If you are linking to the same calendar as the phone's activating gmail, then in the ONLINE calendar:
-export your gCal entries,
-delete the google calendar now via settings
-and then create a new one
-then import the gCal entries into the new calendar

Maybe that will clear the glitch.

Upvote 0
Well after going around with this for a while, and realizing that even if I did get the stock Fascinate calendar app to play nice with my gCal (I'm only using one calendar, it's the one tied to my gmail account) it STILL SUCKS with the default entry, lack of editing/deleting and seems like the entire calendaring aspect of this phone is just FUBAR'd.

So I simply placed a link to my online gCal as a shortcut on my home screen where my calendar app would normally be. So I just hit the shortcut, browser opens right to my gCal and I can add, edit, delete whatever I want to do right there. The only thing I don't get with that is reminders, so I'm going to set my gCal up with txt/email reminders for important events.

Seems like the calendar is just a serious shortcoming on this phone. Shame, it's one of my killer apps (I'm an independent musician, and business owner so my calendar is my life!) but I'll get used to this. It's not worth trading the phone in on an Incredible, and I am holding out hope that this is all a temporary workaround until 2.2 drops.

Thanks for the reply BookLover. BTW - what eBook app are you using on your Captivate? Kindle? Aldiko? Something else?

Upvote 0
Personally, I don't like viewing the native Android app calendar and use Blik Calendar and Gemini calendar to view the native calendar. They're both a little easier on the eyes :)

However, both those cals depend on the native calendar (or online Google calendar) to edit...and the native cal app defaults to the "phone" calendar when you create an event on the phone (so you have to remember to select the gCal option when creating an event on the phone) -- BUT as Moonfire mentioned, you can edit the native app entries if you long press, change views, click on the Menu button when you're in a particular view, etc.

You're stuck with the native app for editing, but you can change the look and feel of your phone's calendar by choosing other calendar apps from the Market.

Upvote 0
Exactly. But - my calendaring is centered around gCal. My agents and partners have to be able to instantly see and edit my gCal - it's how I stay in business, essentially. Not being able to update/edit entries on your gCal from this phone is ******ed. Every Android phone is a handheld extension of your online mail, contacts, and calendar. I really don't understand why Samsung screwed the pooch on such a basic feature. I could live with having to manually select the right calendar if that's all it was... but combined with the fact that you can't do anything with the gCal on the phone is something else entirely, and I'm much better off using my gCal in real time thru the browser than trying to play games with this. Fortunately, the browser is so insanely fast it's actually faster than using the built in cal on my old Eris ;) I really do hope it's addressed in 2.2 - this is pretty basic android stuff here...

Upvote 0
Exactly. But - my calendaring is centered around gCal. My agents and partners have to be able to instantly see and edit my gCal - it's how I stay in business, essentially. Not being able to update/edit entries on your gCal from this phone is ******ed. Every Android phone is a handheld extension of your online mail, contacts, and calendar. I really don't understand why Samsung screwed the pooch on such a basic feature. I could live with having to manually select the right calendar if that's all it was... but combined with the fact that you can't do anything with the gCal on the phone is something else entirely, and I'm much better off using my gCal in real time thru the browser than trying to play games with this. Fortunately, the browser is so insanely fast it's actually faster than using the built in cal on my old Eris ;) I really do hope it's addressed in 2.2 - this is pretty basic android stuff here...

You misunderstood me...You should be able to update your gCal from the phone as long as they are sync'd...but it sounds like something messed up during the sync...And it sounds like you can't update because the sync didn't do it's thing.

Have you tried clearing the Calendar cache on your phone to see if a brand new sync from gCal-to-phone-with-empty-calendar would work?

Upvote 0
You are correct - something is messed up in my sync. I've got contacts, email, picasa, everything else google plus facebook and twitter sync'd seamlessly - except for my calendar. Every time I try to access the calendar app on the phone, it freezes, black screens, then FC. I had not tried clearing the calendar cache, I'll try that now thanks for the idea!

Yes, you can add things to your gCal from the phone (well if it would sync then I suppose I could) but once there, you can't edit or delete the event, from what I understand. Only from the PC side, which is pretty pointless considering the device is supposed to be "in sync" in real time with your Google cloud. The fact that there isn't even a stock TW calendar widget really tells me that that whole end of things just got overlooked with this release. Ah well, it's the one quibble, it may well get fixed with 2.2, and I'm working around it with a quicklink to gCal mobile.

I'll let you know if I can successfully clear the calendar cache and see if that works at all.

Upvote 0
I never even tried the native calendar. After reading forums prior to upgrading to my SF from WinMo Omnia, I downloaded Jorte and use it to sync my calendar, tasks, contacts, etc. Only drawback is manually syncing the tasks. Everything else is automatic once you choose the settings in accounts and sync section.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. The phone just doesn't want to sync with my google calendar.

When in the Accounts & Sync area it will repeatedly only sync my contacts and gmail but then stick and do nothing on my calendar.

I'm running 2.2 so it wasn't that.
I also tried clearing my calendar entries but now I'm stuck with nothing. Which is better than an out of date calendar I suppose.

Definitely not cool.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones