• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Calender Sync problem

This has been touched on before in other threads but not exactly the same.

I use Google calendar every day. If I update on my PC it is on my phone almost instantaneously if I amend that appointment on my Hero it will not sync to the PC over 3G. (I amend, update on the move during my day out and about) The only way to sync is to return to the PC and connect my phone to home wifi and force a sync. (untick calendar in "Application sync settings" the re-tick)
My Googlemail and contacts sync fine, 3G and wifi.
Any ideas?

Hi there

I too have been suffering the exact same problem since I picked up my Hero during launch week with Orange. Unfortunately I've yet to find a solution for the issue so would be intersted if you do solve it.

I'm not sure if it's a handset problem or something to do with the Orange network.

Of a similar nature my personal email account, which until recently was working fine, will now longer send on SMTP over the Orange 3G however is fine when connected to my home wi-fi. This I think if an Orange issue as some new iPhone users on Orange are suffering the same problem.

Thanks,

steve

Upvote 0
This has been touched on before in other threads but not exactly the same.

I use Google calendar every day. If I update on my PC it is on my phone almost instantaneously if I amend that appointment on my Hero it will not sync to the PC over 3G. (I amend, update on the move during my day out and about) The only way to sync is to return to the PC and connect my phone to home wifi and force a sync. (untick calendar in "Application sync settings" the re-tick)
My Googlemail and contacts sync fine, 3G and wifi.
Any ideas?

I don't have this problem. Mine works perfectly both ways.

On your Droid, go to Options, Data Synchronization, Google, and make sure that background data and auto sync are checked. Then, make sure that gmail, calendar, and contacts are all checked. Basically, all of the fields on that screen should have the little green check marks. Try that for half a day or so, and see if it works. If not, remove the battery from your phone for 30 seconds, and then power it back on and see if that does it.

Upvote 0
Hi there

I just check my Google data sync settings and all are already switched. Tried removing the battery but this has had no impact either.

To top it off it seems my my Google contacts are no longer being sync'd either now....great.

It doesn't make sense to me that only certain data types won't sync yet others will. Could it be an Orange issue?

Thanks,

Steve

Upvote 0
I don't have this problem. Mine works perfectly both ways.

On your Droid, go to Options, Data Synchronization, Google, and make sure that background data and auto sync are checked. Then, make sure that gmail, calendar, and contacts are all checked. Basically, all of the fields on that screen should have the little green check marks. Try that for half a day or so, and see if it works. If not, remove the battery from your phone for 30 seconds, and then power it back on and see if that does it.

MisterB, Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. But the options you detail is the place I goto everyday to untick and tick again. They are all ticked.

Steve I'm beginning to think its Orange also. Maybe quality of signal in our areas? But saying that I regularly receive an 'H' signal and the web browsing is quite fast. I'm not too techie but bandwidth?:thinking:

Upvote 0
MisterB, Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. But the options you detail is the place I goto everyday to untick and tick again. They are all ticked.

Steve I'm beginning to think its Orange also. Maybe quality of signal in our areas? But saying that I regularly receive an 'H' signal and the web browsing is quite fast. I'm not too techie but bandwidth?:thinking:

A poor signal could definitely be the problem. Can you buy a wifi router and use the internet at your house? I bet you'll find it will fix your issues.

Upvote 0
A poor signal could definitely be the problem. Can you buy a wifi router and use the internet at your house? I bet you'll find it will fix your issues.

Yes that is exactly what I am doing at the moment. It does fix the problem of A sync but why wont it sync through the mobile signal, even when I have a full strong signal.

Upvote 0
Yes that is exactly what I am doing at the moment. It does fix the problem of A sync but why wont it sync through the mobile signal, even when I have a full strong signal.

Glad you narrowed it down. You could be getting a full mobile signal, but your provider could be having issues. Or, you could be getting interference from microwaves, wifi routers, and other stuff that is causing some packet loss or something.

Try these tests in an area outside of your home somewhere that you get a strong signal, and see if you still get the issue.

Upvote 0
Hi again

Thanks for all the replies on this and hopefully we can find a solution (fingers crossed).

I've tried the Google sync from multiple locations including my home, office (city centre) plus other geopgraphical areas. The signal strength has often varied however even with the strongest (full) signal I cannot get it to work so I don't think this is the cause.

Also, as this hasn't worked since a got my Hero during launch week the problem isn't intermitent but ongoing.

I think my next step might be to to head to my Orange shop and ask them to look into it......can't they remotely update/refresh sim cards? Might this fix it? I'll speak to Orange and report back.

Thanks,

Steve

Upvote 0
......next step might be to to head to my Orange shop and ask them to look into it......can't they remotely update/refresh sim cards? Might this fix it? I'll speak to Orange and report back......

Now theres a thought. I have had problems before solved by changing the SIM card. They are like any hardware they can malfunction. I'll phone orange, they will send one straight away.

Upvote 0
Hi there

Well I'm glad to say I seem to have this problem licked however I can't say it's down to any technical skill or know-how.....just good fortune (and I still don't really understand why it wasn't working in the first place)

So I called Orange support and tbh they were stumped and suggested that if 3G was working okay for the internet connection plus most other uses then the problem must be a handset one and that I should call HTC.

Just as I was about to end the call with Orange and place the call to HTC I happened to mention to the Orange support guy that my phone seemed to have some sort of age restriction in place on my internet usage stopping me from accessing the National Lottery website and could this please be lifted. Orange duly abliged, I rebooted my handset and low and behold Calendar once again syncs over 3G!!

In case you're wondering I had tried rebooting the handset prior to calling Orange so this isn't a coincidence I don't think. Also the app which refused to work over 3G (Flixster) is also working properly.

Weird, but ask Orange to check your settings RemArcs and hopefully you can put this one to bed also.

HTH,

Steve

Upvote 0
.... I happened to mention to the Orange support guy that my phone seemed to have some sort of age restriction in place on my internet usage stopping me from accessing the National Lottery website and could this please be lifted. Orange duly abliged, I rebooted my handset and low and behold Calendar once again syncs over 3G!!

Steve YES it worked for me too.
So anyone with this problem phone your network supplier and ask them to remove any 'safesurf' blocking. This is usually for over 18 sites, betting etc.
I have also noticed that the weather app works better. Still sh1t forcasting but the app updates better.

:) RemArcs :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones