• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google call phone (VOIP direct dialer) feature in gmail

cyberpine

Jun 14, 2010
Before I ask my Android related question.. a point about me being somewhat confused with recent Google VOIP and call phone (voip) features. I have a Google voice number and google Talk account. As of last Wednesday or so (8/24/2010), I can now dial phone numbers DIRECTLY from gmail. The operative word being DIRECTLY.. this is without a call back number and actually using the desktop mic and speakers to communicate. What's confusing is why Google Voice still insists on calling me first (even if set to call from Google Talk) to initiate calls. I'm thinking and hoping that at some point I can make calls directly from google Voice on my desktop and can answer in-coming calls without having to open google Talk.

Anyways, my question. Given recent developments, anybody know if there is or will be an Android client application that will allow us to make Google VOIP phone calls to telephone numbers without the google Voice type call back? I have not tried, but I would imagine the gmail website call phone feature does not work from Android phone like a Sprint Evo right?

Thank you.

Reactions: AAtkinson

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones