• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Camera app/update discussion [Update 5/28]

I'm still amazed with photoblur

Google essentially pulled off what HTC was doing with 2 cameras with a single camera.

The ability to adjust the effect arguably gives it the edge, although it resizes the photo more than HTCs implementation.

Difference is though, you can just snap away and take pictures on the M8, then add the "lens blur" feature later on instead of manually switching to lens blur, then moving the camera up etc.

But i do agree, is very cool that us nN5 owners can kinda do the same thing.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I can't agree on lens blur being equal on both the M8 and N5. I own both phones and its a 100% known fact that the N5's pics have more detail, but the M8 handles the photo blur effect with extreme ease and blows the N5 away on convienenve and ease of use.

Can this get better on the N5 with updates, of course! But then again the M8 will have updates of its own making it even better as time goes on.

Upvote 0
Is that because you don't need to go into lenses blur mode or is there more to it?

I snap off a lot of pics at one time. I'm in the Fitness Industry so on average I may take about 30-50 pics at a clip and then sort through them after seeing which ones came out best and will be used for certain things like social media and what not.

Using the M8's blur effect in certain shots that I feel will benefit from the effect has been a very good and effortless experience. And shots have been good enough were people are like wow, that looks really cool.

However using the effect on the nexus 5 has been a pretty long and thought out process, just the fact of having to go into the mode and do the whole up and down arrow thing has IMO taken up to much of my time when I'm snapping away.

Maybe with some updates things can get easier, and I agree with some that its a good sign that Google can achieve a similar effect without the actual hardware. But like I said, with the hardware being present on the M8, the effect can only get better as time goes on.

Upvote 0
An example of lens blur out on a walk today

2014-04-19%2014.09.14.jpg

Upvote 0
I just noticed yesterday (!) that the new camera app has installed itself on my phone without my realising, so I thought I'd give the lens-blur software a try.

I'm very impressed, especially since you can select different areas of the photograph to keep sharp. I don't know exactly how it works, but I'm very happy with it.

And it's one up on my wife, who has an iPhone 4S!

Upvote 0
That was on the old camera as well. Its an interesting feature, but not one of those things I see myself using more than a few times.

That one you posted does look really cool though :thumbup:

Cheers!

lol, oh really? Didn't realise. Maybe they made the little planet icon a bit more prominent in the new app and that's how i noticed it this time!

Upvote 0
I've been experimenting with Photosphere, which is very impressive except for a couple of problems I have encountered.

One thing that seems to happen quite often is that, in the finished image, there are 'breaks' at certain positions where things don't exactly line up properly. Another one I noticed is blurring in the foliage of trees and bushes.

I'm not sure whether these are inevitable occurrences due to how the system works, or whether I am doing something wrong - moving too quickly, perhaps. Any suggestions, please?

Upvote 0
Is that because you don't need to go into lenses blur mode or is there more to it?

It doesn't work well (if at all) with a moving subject on the N5 since you have to move the device upward slowly. The M8 has an instant second perspective which you can also use retrospectively.

However, for still shots the effect on the N5 is good and a lot of fun.

Upvote 0
What I like to do is go back over a few areas that I know can be tricky. If there are long straight lines that go through areas in 2 of the pictures I'll make sure to include one centeres on where it would otherwise stitch the two photos together

Not sure if that makes sense

Yes that makes perfect sense, thank you. I didn't know you could go back and capture further pictures; when I've done it, I've just panned slowly around until the next 'dot' is centred and the shot is taken automatically.
How do you capture additional shots?

Upvote 0
Yes that makes perfect sense, thank you. I didn't know you could go back and capture further pictures; when I've done it, I've just panned slowly around until the next 'dot' is centred and the shot is taken automatically.
How do you capture additional shots?
Its possible I spoke too soon (this is what happens when I speak from memory :eek:)

I just tried again and maybe it doesn't work as I described :eek:. It needs a little bit of "grey" area showing in order to know to take another picture.

It can have a problem with straight lines if you are moving the device around rather than you moving around the device.

Hitting the back arrow will discard the last portion you took and allow you to re-take it if you noticed somethings not lined up properly before its finished

Reactions: OhSeven
Upvote 0
It can have a problem with straight lines if you are moving the device around rather than you moving around the device.

Hitting the back arrow will discard the last portion you took and allow you to re-take it if you noticed somethings not lined up properly before its finished

Thanks again. Yes, I'll try those two options when I have a minute.

Upvote 0
I upgraded to the new Google camera app and for the most part think it is very nice.
Having said that, I really do miss the timer function. I have uninstalled the upgrade and am using the timer function in the original app.

Does anyone know if the timer function can be turned on with the new Google camera app?

Thanks for any help :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones