Google, Carriers, Manufacturer Relationships/Support

Last Updated:

1. belushi

belushi Member This Topic's Starter

I'm about to dump ATT/IPhone for Sprint/Android (EVO), but one thing has been nagging me and I want to make sure I know my options before jumping (e.g. given these 2 yr contracts).

My concern is with ongoing support for my phone after purchase, support in terms of receiving the latest/greatest updates to the Android platform (e.g. within hardware constraints). Who ultimately controls whether a phone gets a release (e.g. Carrier or Manufacturer)?

It seems to me the best bet is to go with the Nexus One platform given that is under the control of Google and should be well supported in that respect. However, it seems like it is going to be a hassle and/or costly to go with Nexus One using Sprint. Is there anyway around paying full price for Nexus One and using Sprint as a carrier? Any chance Google has a deal with the carriers to subsidize phones?

Plus, I would prefer not to have the blot (e.g. UI modifications, app replacements, etc

Advertisement
  2. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

No nexus one on sprint. Sorry.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

3. belushi

belushi Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks IOWA, not what I wanted to here, but good to know I'm not missing something.

Surfing the internet found this article about Gingerbread with a target of a unified interface.

Android Team

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Depends on the phone. The carrier isn't relevant with the N1 but with most other devices, the carrier tests and approves updates. That said, the manufacturer also plays a role in deciding whether or not a particular model gets an update.

You can get an answer directly from the source ;):
    https://www.google.com/phone/choose?hl=en&gl=US&s7e=

Check with your carrier to confirm but, from what I've seen, most will void your warranty if your phone is rooted. Of course, since it's just a change to software you can unroot before asking for warranty support in the first place.

It is a broad question. You need to look into the specifics for rooting and ROM's for your specific model which is really just part of the due diligence you need to perform before rooting anyway. Try an Evo-specific site or subforum. Most of the Android forum sites I hit have rooting forums for specfic builds and/or models.

(EDIT) Like this one:
    http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-evo-4g/