Google changing Nexus program?

Last Updated:

1. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

charssun, omnius and TheyCallMeBT like this.
  2. Stuntman

Stuntman Well-Known Member

I'm hoping one of those manufacturers makes a Nexus phone with a landscape slider keyboard. I know the chances are probably close to 0, but at least it's higher than if only one manufacturer makes a Nexus phone.
  3. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

Sucks that half the carriers in the US can't run this.
  4. Bnice

Bnice Guest

Yes!! This would be nice. Got to love Android for their choices. (hopefully this happens).
  5. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Well-Known Member

That sounds awesome, even if I will never benefit from it as a Verizon customer. I'm still holding out on a tablet purchase to see if they make a 10 inch Nexus tablet.
  6. ArmchairBear

ArmchairBear Well-Known Member

I can't wait. I love my Rezound, but things could always be better. I just hope Verizon will get some of these phones. I'm grandfathered into unlimited data.
  7. AntimonyER

The fact that Google wants to bypass the carriers make Verizon an impossibility for these phones. CDMA requires proprietary info that the Verizon owns, which forces any phone manufacturer to prostrate themselves (in the form of adding VZW bloatware) to get a phone on VZW's network.
  8. ArmchairBear

ArmchairBear Well-Known Member

What about the Galaxy Nexus for Verizon? Does that count?

As long as some of these Nexus phone get to Verizon and natively runs the AOSP version of Android 5.0, I'll be happy.
  9. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

So a GSM Nexus could be any mfg?
  10. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Well-Known Member

This is so exciting to me. I hope to buy a Nexus Tablet & Nexus Phone in 2013.

~ ArmyX
  11. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

If this is all true, the game just got real.
  12. ral

ral Well-Known Member

It would be great if they had a high end Nexus phone, as well as mid and entry level versions. That way those wanting stock ICS can have more phone options.
  13. DroidDavi

DroidDavi Well-Known Member

This is a great idea. It should give aosp android more shine. But if its open to just any OEM can Google support them all. Its only a nexus is Google directly supports it
  14. ArmageddonX

ArmageddonX Well-Known Member

I see several options for the future:
    1. Entry Level Nexus
    2. Mid Level Nexus
    3. High-End Nexus
    4. QWERTY Slide-Out Nexus
    5. Black-Berry style Nexus

Also for Tablets:
    1. 5" Nexus Tablet/Phone
    2. 7" Nexus Tablet/Phone
    3. 10.1" Dual-Core Nexus Tablet
    4. 10.1" Quad-Core Nexus Tablet

And the beautiful thing is they could all be from different manufacturers! Or perhaps Google is planning on using Motorola Mobility for the majority of them?

Just speculating!

~ ArmyX
  15. DroidDavi

I can't help but think this will lead to nexus fragmentation
  16. ral

ral Well-Known Member

Probably will. Unless they all use the same chipset.
  17. AntimonyER

I am not sure how they will be addressing the differences in hardware, but not having to deal with carriers will make things much easier. And if they manage to offer them for the price of the GNex on the play store, would be the first step in reducing the power the carriers have over their customers/network.
  18. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

If anything I think this will lead to less fragmentation. All phones are coming from Google and all of them will have 5.0 vanilla android. So all Google has to do is release the update. No manufactures or carriers to go through.

This is awesome and exciting news.
  19. omnius

omnius Well-Known Member

OMG I've been dreaming this would happen but had resigned myself it never would. What an amazing piece of good news! :)
  20. DroidDavi

As long as the chip sets are the same I'm fine but with multiple OEM I can't see that happening. As long as the phones are supported BY GOOGLE I'm fine. I have used all the nexus devices and I will keep on doing so. I just hope the idea of the nexus stays the same
  21. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Just hope they include expandable storage in the specs, or at least an adequate built-in. Cloud storage is not an adequate replacement.

That said, this sounds seriously excellent news - especially the European distribution bit :)
  22. charssun

charssun Well-Known Member

I just read this story in today's Wall Street Journal and immediately grasped the import of the news. Now, how will this impact the ROM/modding community? Are we likely to see less mods since more Android phones will be "vanilla" right out of the box?
  23. charssun

One researcher interviewed for the WSJ article says "Google's shift appears to be a move 'to create a more standardized experience for consumers and app developers,' similar to that of Apple." So will this result in less choice?
  24. DroidDavi

That's never going to happen we are better off asking for 32 gb built it built in is better anyways no need for partitions or any of that crap
  25. charssun

Why not move on to another carrier, then?