Google Chromebook Pixel. $1,299...wow!

Last Updated: 2013-03-04 00:33:00
  1. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Advertisement
    ocnbrze likes this.
  2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Yeah, Mike. I always wanted a Chromebook but just couldn't justify the cost. When the ARM based Samsung one came out, I bought it immediately. :)
    Love it and we use it frequently, but there's no way that Chrome OS needs to run on a $1300+ machine. That's Apple territory. :p
    ocnbrze likes this.
  3. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

Agreed.. Nutz...
  4. unnamedny

unnamedny Well-Known Member

32gb of storage... lmao
  5. breadnatty08

Free 1Tb of Google Drive though.
    I have 2years of 100Gb of Drive with my Samsung Chromebook. As someone who doesn't store much on their device (and there's an SD card slot as well), it works fine for me.
  6. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Would work pretty well for the diagnostician on the go for interfacing into the Web portal of a PACs system. When I used to support PACs, they had high-res diagnostic stations and then just Web stations that couldn't be used for diagnostics, just review.

It kind of makes sense so it cannot have loads of crap installed on it and no bloat...

But other than that, I can't think of what else it would be useful for.
  7. unnamedny

I have 2x 3 terabytes of data, does not work fine for me at all.
  8. SUroot

Yeah I have 3x 1TB in my media PC and another 3 TB's in my NAS. I store almost nothing on my laptop.
  9. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

Chromebooks have clearly been such a success they've had to increase the prices ..

No, wait ..
  10. breadnatty08

Have to agree. The ad campaign for the cheap Samsung one was great.
    Focus on those who are new to computers, need a cheap second one, something they don't mind screwing up, don't want to use Windows/OSX etc.
    Also, promoting these to be used in schools, cheaply, is a brilliant idea.
    However, now that there is the Raspberry Pi , they seem to have been undercut a whole lot more in price.

Wow, The Verge gave it a 7.5!
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/25/4023830/google-chromebook-pixel-review
    ocnbrze likes this.
  11. unnamedny

but what if you need to store something on your crome book. You are screwed. I don't store much at my laptop but things add up to gigabytes.
  12. breadnatty08

Whelp, David Pierce's final remark should have been the entire review:
    ocnbrze likes this.
  13. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

I just read a review. Still not seeing the point. Selling any does not appear to be it.

So far as I can see, it's a PC that costs more than a PC but does less. The only upside (and it only really applies to rabid MS haters) is it doesn't run windows. Don't we already have Linux for that ..?
  14. SUroot

Moot point really. The only thing I NEED to be stored on my chromebook is my android source code, which needs to be compiled locally...

Oh wait, I can't do that with a Chrome book.
  15. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

i see a repeat of the Nexus One.. great phone.. but for a very small market.
  16. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

yeah i just saw something about this chromebook today. it is just crazy to have a high tech netbook that cost that much. do not get me wrong i really love the chromebook, but there is no way i'm, spending that kind of dough for a machine like that.
  17. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

I think its more of a statement than anything. Googles saying they're ready to play with the big boys.

This isn't the Samsung chrome book or the Acer chrome book, this is GOOGLES chrome book. Home made. This is just them proving they can put out high end HARDWARE as well as software.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  18. ocnbrze

i just hope that they are not relying on sales for it.....cuz it is gonna be sloooooooooow.
  19. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

I honestly don't think they're making that many of them. ;) they'd be crazy to think someone is going to spend that kind of money on a chrome book rather than just getting the newest macbook pro.

The best thing about chromebooks are the cheap price.

Think big picture here though. Google is making their own hardware now.

Nexus by Google? Not too far fetched. :cool:
    ocnbrze likes this.
  20. sleezecheeze

sleezecheeze Well-Known Member

You're paying for the screen. It's touchscreen AND it has the highest pixel density of any laptop on the market so far. It doesn't sound like much but there's a lot of money in mass producing stuff like that.
  21. ocnbrze

meh.....i'll pass on it. if it had more computing power then what the chrome os can offer then i'm in(if i had the money). but the chrome os i think works best a the price point that they have for the samsung and acer chromebooks. now if this new one has a more beefier os then it would be that much better.
  22. drew051

drew051 VIP Member VIP Member

I like the concept of it, and with the 1TB of Google Drive included, you can try to look as it of paying for the Google Drive for 3 years and getting a chromebook included.

I think it is a very niche market however for early adopters
  23. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

I just purchased a Samsung Chromebook and I love it. Keep in mind that there are scripts/packages floating around that will allow a full Linux distro, Android, and other operating systems to run on Chromebooks.

One source is located here.

These types of options might make the $1,300 price worth while.
    ocnbrze and Rxpert83 like this.
  24. ocnbrze

yeah i just got the samsung chromebook as well. i might have to look into getting ubuntu installed on it.....thanx for the idea and the link.
  25. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

The crouton tutorial uses Ubuntu from an SD card, you can run Ubuntu and Chrome side-by-side and switch between them with a key combo.. nothing to install on the Chromebook.

Search Google, I believe there are other tutorials. The script for Ubuntu references the XFCE desktop. I used XFCE in Linux Mint because it has a small footprint and is easy on resources.. perfect for a Chromebook.
    ocnbrze likes this.