Google.com "Acquiring location..."

Last Updated:

1. regression

regression Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I go to google.com on the HTC browser, it used to report my location under the search box. Now, it just says "acquiring location...". I haven't change any of the location settings (still have the first two checked, gps off under location settings).

Is anyone else having problems like this?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. nck4857

nck4857 Active Member

Mine just started doing this in the past few days...

3. regression

Same here. Glad it isn't just me. In the last few days Google added some features to it's desktop search, to search by location. I don't know if this is related or just a coincidence, but it seems when this feature was introduced I stopped getting the location on my phone.....

Official Google Blog: Refine your searches by location

4. bluemark

bluemark Active Member

I'm getting the same thing: "Acquiring location".

5. cornelious

cornelious Member

same

6. mslisaj

mslisaj Well-Known Member

Gentlemen, interesting to read others have this problem too. I have had my Hero for three weeks and up to the last two days it was very accurate. But now I lost the location from the Google front page. I'm stuck in the acquiring location mode. Have you figured out the fix? If so what was it? This small thing is driving me crazy and especially when it used to work so well.
    Hope you can help me.
    Lisa

7. generide

generide Member

funny, Mine is working and showing the city once I click turn on

8. regression

I haven't found a fix. I tried going to the settings link on the google.com page and turning location off, then on again. No luck. I will try and find a Google Help forum and see if someone there knows anything.....

9. bluemark

bluemark Active Member

mslisaj: I think you are looking at the "Join Date" of the posters. The posts for "Acquiring location" are all very recent.
    I too have tried turning on\off "allow use of device location" to no avail. It's driving me crazy too! Seems to be a Google problem (?) I think I'll just turn it off and check back on it in a few days

10. mslisaj

mslisaj Well-Known Member

Thanks Bluemark, you got me!! I did that note at work today from my phone and as we know it's small and I missed that little point about the "join date" . thanks for the correction. I feel better now know there are folks "suffering" with this too. I wouldn't care if it never worked but I thought it was so cool as EVERYTHING works so well on the Hero. At any rate everyone is experience this at once so it must be a Google problem. I tried everything from turning everything off and on to rebooting the phone and it's the same. Finally I went in to Google settings and just turned off that last line of settings "use the device location equipment" or something like that. So now I don't have to keep staring at the "Acquiring Location....." message. I gather the advice is right to just check back in a few days and see if it works.......

I can live with that and thanks again for your time and response......... :)

Lisa

11. bluemark

bluemark Active Member

mslisaj: I didn't mean it as a "gotcha" just wanted to point it out so you wouldn't think this has been an ongoing problem. I like that feature too. I'm hoping they straighten it out quickly.

mslisaj likes this.
  12. Jrocker23

Jrocker23 Well-Known Member

Happening on my Droid Eris as well..

13. bluemark

bluemark Active Member

Thanks for chiming in Jrocker23. At least we know for sure now that it isn't a phone issue.

14. madpirahna

madpirahna Member

I would definitely like the answer to this one and am trying several things myself to fix it. I will post up if anything works.

This happened with my last phone as well with "local google" and it was a Samsung Omnia. At that time I blamed it on the phone.

15. azmansell

azmansell New Member

mine is also having the same problem.
    i hard reset it yesterday to double check and the problem is still there.

16. rgss06

rgss06 Active Member

Mine is doing this as well. The first thing that I thought of when my phone did it, was that Google has updated this and you probably need 2.x to have it work. Probably not, I hope not anyway.

17. bluemark

bluemark Active Member

I've tried everything I can think of. Mine is still doing it and so is my wife's (also a Hero). Very frustrating. Maybe the 2.1 update will take care of it ...........whenever it comes out.

18. bluemark

bluemark Active Member

For those of you that turned this feature off you may want to try it again. Mine started to work today :eek:

19. regression

Thanks. I never turned mine off. I went into settings (on Google's homepage), turned it off, then went back to settings and turned it on. Working again!

20. manny84

manny84 Well-Known Member

This issue is driving me CRAZY. I've tried everything and nothing seems to work.

PLEASE HELP SOMEONE!!!! PLEASE!!