Google contact sync keeps failingSupport

Last Updated:

1. jfischbein

jfischbein Member This Topic's Starter

I keep receiving an error message from when it syncs by google contacts. It fails after about 5 min. Mail and calendar are fine.

Advertisement
  2. Chexation

Chexation Member

I have the same problem. I have not been able to find an answer yet.

3. Chexation

Chexation Member

I suffered through this for almost a month. Here is the solution.

I used MyBackupPro to make a backup copy of the contacts on my phone. Spend the few dollars for this program. It is worth it in the long run.

Then, do the following that I found at this URL and added a few bits of info:
    Android error: "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly." - Super User

1. I used a free app called VCardIO to export my Contacts list in VCard format. Put that file on your computer by emailing it to yourself and download to your Desktop for use in step #3. Make sure you do this because all of your Contact info on your phone is going to be erased in the next step.
    2. Under Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications I cleared data for "Contacts Storage" (Might be called "My Faves" on your version). You now have no Contacts listed on your phone.
    3. Imported the VCard formatted contact list into GMail on my computer (bottom left hand side IMPORT CONTACTS, then find that file you emailed to yourself). This will merge what you have on your phone to your current Gmail Contact list. There may be some data is not saved in the merge, but most everything will be there.
    4. One your phone, program it to to sync your contacts again. Your phone will now populate with all of your Contacts.
    I did this several days ago and have no issues with contacts syncing now.

4. aminaked

aminaked Well-Known Member

You don't need to mess with exporting your contacts if they're on Google's servers. Just clear "Contacts storage" data and your phone will automatically resync with Google.

5. Chexation

Chexation Member

;)
    In my case, I had added 30+ contacts on my phone over the course of time where my phone was not syncing. That is why I needed the backup and the merge.

If you find this solution right away, them you will not need that particular step

6. aminaked

aminaked Well-Known Member

I hear you. I should have made it clear that you will lose any data that isn't already on Google's servers.

7. kevinx

kevinx Active Member

Anyone....

My CONTACTS used to sync, seemlessly, between my PC or Laptop and HTC Desire handset. If I updated, added, removed, changed a contact on either, the change would be reflected on the other.

However.. Over the past few days I have added a few contacts (via handset and PC/Laptop) but they have NOT then synced to any of the other devices :-(

Wonder if anyone else has had this problem, and the resolve??

Thanks in anticipation

NB Handset is running FroYo (v2.2)

Cheers

8. Looking4beach

Looking4beach Active Member

Thanks very much for that post! I was having the same problem when I imported my contacts with backup pro :)