Google Contacts' birthdays Calendar doesn't update

Last Updated:

1. staz1000

staz1000 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I added the birthday to a contact the other day but it didn't appear in my calendar on the phone, even though I have the Google 'Contacts' birthdays and events' enabled and it has worked fine in the past.

To cut a long story short when I add a birthday a new entry is created in the Google calendar but it doesn't appear on the phone even after multiple syncs. The only way to get it to appear (or to get the test ones I tried, to disappear) was to remove the calendar from the phone and then add it again (Calendars>Menu>Remove----Menu>Add).

This is clearly not correct, anyone else getting this?

Advertisement
  2. weirdNumber

weirdNumber Well-Known Member

I have this problem, but Im not sure what you mean by the Contacts birthdays and events enabled?
    I figured I could just go into people, add a birthday to a contact and it would appear in my calendar. This isn't the case unfortunately.

3. staz1000

On Google calendar you can add extra calendars to yours including one called 'Contacts' birthdays and events'. Any calendars you add to Google also appear on your list on the phone so they can be included in the calendar view.

4. weirdNumber

Ok, I tried your method and I see what you mean. If you add a birthday to a contact on your phone it doesn't sync to your google contacts. You have to add the birthday through the google contacts, then go to your calendar and copy the created event to your calendar and then sync.
    If seems the contacts birthday is just a 'layer' for the google calendar rather than actually creating entries in your calendar.
    It seems like pretty poor integration really.

5. weirdNumber

Just to add

Issue 1211 - android - Contact Record to Contain Birthday & Anniversary Date Fields w/Calendar Integration - Project Hosting on Google Code
    Issue 3879 - android - Contact birthday not synced from Google to Android - Project Hosting on Google Code

"The birthday field on the HTC phones is part of the HTC Sense UI and is not actually
    changing the "Birthday" field you see in Google contacts/gmail.

It is only stored on your HTC-branded Sense UI phone.

Even on stock Android 2.1 you cannot edit the birthday field from the phone (but at
    least in 2.1 you can see this field if you've populated it from Google contacts/gmail)

Please star Issue #1211 and, as always, star this issue, do not post a "me too" to
    this Issue."

6. staz1000

I was actually adding the birthday to an existing contact using Outlook, then the Google birthdays calendar has the birthday entered OK, but it just doesn't sync on the phone for some reason.

7. weirdNumber

The google birthday calendar shows it, but you have to select the entry (with the cake icon) and select copy to calendar, then it will sync to the phone as it will create an actual entry as opposed to the overlay that the google birthday calendar creates.

8. staz1000

I'm afraid not. Pressing that button adds the event to my own calendar which is not what I want to do.