• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Contacts completely hosed

cmonster

Jan 11, 2010
I really hope someone can help me as I am pretty frustrated.
When I got the 2.1 update in May (the OTA version but downloaded manually). I did a factory re-sent and then something happened with my Google contacts. In short, the contacts were constantly trying to update but getting nowhere. This resulted, predictably, in 100% uptime and my battery was draining FAST. So the advice I got here was to turn off auto sync of contacts because something was getting caught and messing up the sync (I was a conference and needed my phone just to be working so figured I'd deal with it later).

Well today I got the new update and thought that might have fixed the problem so decided to try again. Did some research, found this thread and followed the instructions.

Now, I've got all my facebook contacts in People and when I tell the phone to sync contacts with Google manually, it seems to go through and then stops as one would expect. However, all I've got in People is Facebook contacts with minimal information (no phone numbers at all) and some of them have two cards listed.

In People, under View, I have Google and and Facebook checked but am pretty obviously only seeing Facebook contacts since Google is reported as having 1195 contacts (which is a bit much. I want it just to download My Contacts from Gmail).

When I look at contacts in Gmail, I have 1606 in All Contacts and 247 in My Contacts. I am obviously not getting any of the contacts in My Contacts from Gmail as the ones that dont have Facebook pages don't show up and none of the phone numbers that are there show up. I have looked at the contacts in Gmail and know that data is there. It's just not getting synced.

UPDATE: When I uncheck show faacebook contacts in People, the only contacts I am left with from Google are 9 contacts from one group I created for a team I am on.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

For anyone stumbling across this thread, I fixed it!

First, remember to follow these instructions. Very important that the export of your contacts from Google is accurate and what you want because re-importing them is very important. After deleting all the contacts on your phone, your list of contacts on Google will be erased and this is what will update to your phone....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones